Another "What GPS?" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

b0redom

So I'm starting a new job. Plotting it on Google maps shows I can either do main roads for about 12.7 miles, or through parks for about 14.1 miles. Bit of a no brainer then. The only problem is that my sense of direction is awful, and I can't afford to keep getting lost.

Can someone recommend me a good GPS that will let me pre-plot routes on my PC or Mac? It also needs to be able to route me should I go wrong, or if I want to go to an alternate address and don't have access to a PC.

I have a decent trip computer, but don't mind paying a bit more for a one box fits all GPS/computer.

What do you guys recommend?

Cheers....

b0redom

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sounds like the Garmin Edge 705 is what you need. Though they are expensive.

OP
OP
B

b0redom

Do I need anything else appart from the unit? The topo maps seem to be used for offroad use. I guess I need these for going through parks? What's the best deal on these?

jimheaney57

I have an iphone and I recently purchased an app called Cyclemeter. It cost £2.99 and seems to do everything you could want. It even has functions to record/map my runs and I also used it today while on a walk in the hills. It does more than my Garmin Forerunner which I use for running & cycling.

And I can use the iphone to listen to my tunes while running/cycling/walking.

Does anyone know if there is a mount that can be got to attach the iphone to a bike?

OP
OP
B

b0redom

@jimheaney57 that could work, as I have an iPhone and an arm band. Looking at the website, it doesn't appear that it will let you specify the route first, using google maps etc?

@BenLovejoy - so you have that GPS right? Does it do all the other stuff I was after?

Cheers for the replies everyone!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yep, and yep. To pre-plot routes on the PC, you need to buy one with the mapping on DVD instead of on the SD card.

OP
OP
B

b0redom

So if I get one with DVD mapping, does that mean that I can plot routes on both? ie If I go for a ride and get lost, I can just say "plot a route home"?

CopperBrompton

Yes

jimheaney57

b0redom said:
@jimheaney57 that could work, as I have an iPhone and an arm band. Looking at the website, it doesn't appear that it will let you specify the route first, using google maps etc?

I haven't worked that out yet as it's not really a facility I require. The main screen has a field for remaining distance so there has to be some way of pre programming a route into the phone before heading off.

The Garmin Vista looks good, but I'll stick with the £2.99 iphone app & my Garmin Forerunner.

CopperBrompton

jimheaney57 said:
The main screen has a field for remaining distance so there has to be some way of pre programming a route into the phone before heading off.
That doesn't follow at all: you'd need that field even if all you can do is select a destination on the device.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ben Lovejoy said:
http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/kit/gps/

Should be significantly cheaper now.
Ben, can one use the OSM (Open Street Maps) as an alternative to purchasing the Garmin CDs/SDs ?

If so, presumably one can plot OSM routes on a PC, then up/download to the Vista ?

If I want to do an Audax/Sportive which has the route downloadable from Bikehike etc, would those maps accept it ?

If the answer to all 3 questions is YES, is there any reason not to purchase the Vista Hcx (for about £165) ???? ;)

Assuming your employment is to last more than one day and your place of employment is relatively stationary it sounds like what you need is a map – OS or street if available – sense of direction notwithstanding on the first outing memorise the route (in extremis you could even do a dry run before the first day)

As an employer I would be mildly impressed that you cycle to work – however if you are to survive the probation period the knowledge that you need a GPS to find the place of employment might not be a plus point

CopperBrompton

scoosh said:
Ben, can one use the OSM (Open Street Maps) as an alternative to purchasing the Garmin CDs/SDs ?
Don't know. They were pretty rubbish last time I looked at them. It's possible they've improved since then, but I'd suggest going for proper mapping.

If so, presumably one can plot OSM routes on a PC, then up/download to the Vista ?
If you have software that allows plotting on the PC and outputs GDP or GPX, then yes.

If I want to do an Audax/Sportive which has the route downloadable from Bikehike etc, would those maps accept it ?
Mapping shouldn't make any difference there: the route will simply be a series of waypoints. The GPS will be able to connect the dots, though not necessarily in the way the organisers have. The safest way would be to plot them on the PC and then check and adjust against a paper version. This is pretty easy in Mapsource; I don't know how easy it would be in other software.

Top Bottom