Another wheel question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philhul

Hi,

I'm very tempted to upgrade my wheels and am looking at the Fulcrum Racing 3s in the sale at Planet X among others.

I have a 2010 Trek 1.5 with stock 'Bontrager Approved Approved Alloy Rims' and alloy hubs. I know the Fulcrums should give an advantage with the aero spokes, and should hopefully be a lot stiffer, but I'm particularly interested in the weight. The Planet X description quotes the weight as 1659g.

Even if you aren't familiar with the Bontrager wheels, does anyone know roughly what weight the standard wheels on cheaper bikes tends to be? I don't have any means of weighing my current wheels. Just wondering if there will be much of a difference?

Thanks

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I would hazard a guess that the fulcrums would be a fair bit lighter than the stock wheels on your trek. I ordered some of those fulcrum 3's myself last night to replace the wheels on my Secteur.

I don't think that any weight comparison will convey the difference- I would guess that the existing wheels are in the 1900g+ bracket and you probably have a heavy tyre/tube combo as well but basically it is the overall package with the spokes/stiffness and better quality hubs.

If you get the 3's with something like Michelin Pro's and Aircomp tubes I'm sure you will notice a big difference.

l4dva

Guru
I am trying to convince myself that I should buy a pair of these fulcrum 3's too... dose any one know how these will hold up for a daily commute, 22 miles a day on london roads (some parts with pretty bad pot holes but majority roads are OK)

I have no doubt they will roll quicker and improve speed etc etc I think these could be classed as "race" wheels to some average joe's like me, just want to know if they are durable for high milage all year round riding with pot holes etc?

jayonabike