Another world record attempt..

Crankarm

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
When is a PRO rider gonna attempt this record? Armstrong for his Livestrong foundation perhaps? Surely no one could beat his time and that would hopefully put an end to these silly attempts ;).
 

amaferanga

Veteran
Location
Bolton
8000km in a little over a month is hardly a 'silly' attempt. I for one would rather the record didn't belong to a doped up tool like Armstrong anyway....
 

Crankarm

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
amaferanga said:
8000km in a little over a month is hardly a 'silly' attempt. I for one would rather the record didn't belong to a doped up tool like Armstrong anyway....
Evidence or are you being controversial and defammatory :smile:?
 

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Location
Brighton
He was on here before he went. There was another bloke doing it too -Vin Cox?
TBH, I've lost interest in these attempts now the novelty has worn off.
 
Beaumont is still listed as the record holder. This guy is supported. I think we've had the discussion before about a split for supported and unsupported rides.
 

Garz

Squat Member
Location
Down
adscrim said:
Look, there's nothing wrong with black socks. Get over it!:biggrin:
;)
 

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I have been following most of the RTW record attempts, from Mark Beaumont through Bowthorpe, Sayarer, Cox and now Bate.

Rather interestingly, it is the last 3 that have made disparaging comments about other riders. Sayarer really laid into Beaumont, Cox made a comment on a video about how much quicker he was than others (due to carrying less - go figure) and now Bate with his 'entourage' has said if he wanted to carry the kitchen sink he'd be a donkey?

It might be time to classify the various attempts into super tough carry everything self contained, carry a little and use a credit card, and carry nothing and go round with a supporting crew mopping your brow every 10 miles?
 

Garz

Squat Member
Location
Down
Yeah I think the guys carrying all deserve more merit.

Also they need to nip this pro/semi pro crap in the bud right now and keep that particular record for amateurs IMO. A pro attempt would just ruin it as they would get best support/backing and obviously superior equipment to boot with their athleticism meaning it would eventually become untouchable without similar circumstances.
 

amaferanga

Veteran
Location
Bolton
Garz said:
Yeah I think the guys carrying all deserve more merit.

Also they need to nip this pro/semi pro crap in the bud right now and keep that particular record for amateurs IMO. A pro attempt would just ruin it as they would get best support/backing and obviously superior equipment to boot with their athleticism meaning it would eventually become untouchable without similar circumstances.
I kind of see what you're saying, but isn't the idea of a world record that it should be held by the best/fittest/strongest? It shouldn't be held by an ordinary cyclist, but someone exceptional. The best bike/equipment isn't going to turn someone like Beaumont into an exceptional athlete.

Separate records for supported/unsupported would make sense, but what unsupported actually means would need careful consideration.
 

Garz

Squat Member
Location
Down
amaferanga said:
I kind of see what you're saying, but isn't the idea of a world record that it should be held by the best/fittest/strongest?
Yes your entirely right.. but at the end of the day the pro guys are more likely to hold these records. I think they know they could take the record they just haven't got the time or are using that time to earn money instead.

There must be a reason why pro's or ex pro's aren't interested in it..
 

dpiper

New Member
Ahem! I can state for the record that Vin Cox holds Mark Beaumont in the highest esteem and has made no disparaging comments about him. Vin is currently on track to beat Mark's record but only just.

However Mr A Bate seems to be super human in beating the record so far by a pace twice a quick. However, when photographed he and bike are spotless, he never has punctures or mechanicals (even though he's on a light racing bike), has no recognised track record, has been on video slipstreaming his support vehicle, only turns on his GPS tracker every other day...shall I go on!
 
Top Bottom