Another York ride, anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It seems I'm in trouble with Mrs Uncle Phil. She wanted to organise that particular route. I should have waited until she got back. Perhaps we can do it again sometime?

Shaun

Founder
Uncle Phil said:
It seems I'm in trouble with Mrs Uncle Phil. She wanted to organise that particular route. I should have waited until she got back. Perhaps we can do it again sometime?

Send me details of the excuse you're going to use and I'll vouch for you, no problem ... oh, and make sure you enclose two bits of flapjack! :smile:

Seriously though, keep me posted on future rides - it's not too far for me to travel and I really enjoyed the last one.

Cheers,
Shaun :laugh:

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Admin said:
Send me details of the excuse you're going to use and I'll vouch for you, no problem ... oh, and make sure you enclose two bits of flapjack! :smile:

Well, this thread is a bit of a giveaway. If you could remove the evidence that the ride ever happened.... and then keep taking wrong turnings when we do it again... :laugh::biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:

Oh dear.... Well, I'd happily do it again, esp if Mrs Uncle Phil could go and skim a bit off the top of some of the hills...

Great ride - I certainly felt quite fresh when we got back, almost as if I had a few more miles in me. I almost went out again for some more on Sunday, but hormones struck and I felt a bit ill, so chickened out and spent the day trawling York unsuccessfully for a nice photo frame with an oval mount (how hard can it be to find? turns out, very.)

Anyway, it was a great day, thanks Phil - even the rain was fun, sort of. And the Wolds sounds like an idea for the future. A barmy one, I admit, Wolds is hills, innit?

I have been looking at routes south of York as well, and will suss a few out - I know there is a nice cafe in Howden, and one in Tadcaster (and at least one in Selby in between) so I wonder if a loop might take them in... It'll be flatter, of course, and the views are less pretty and more... power stations.

It's probably PhD displacement, but I'm starting to think about working up to a century....

Great pics Colly. I like the one where it looks like I'm going fast...:biggrin: I think I need to trim my bars in a bit though, my arms stick out a bit compared with other people....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, and of course the event was notable for me conquering a phobia and making it across a cattle grid (two, actually) for the first time without getting off and walking, for about 4 years... I think I'll still have to build up to those on the Rawcliffe bike path though...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cathryn said:
I'm SO glad it's not just me who's terrified of cattle grids. Well done Arch!

Cheers, I used to be fine, then had a tangle with one - well, I came down on some gravel beyond it, but my mum was behind, saw me go down, jammed the brakes on and the grid swallowed her front wheel - I can still see her going over the bars... <shudder> Result, one broken wrist for her, one cattle grid phobia for me.

But these two were the best sort, with flat tops to the bars, and not too widely spaced, so I just went for it, carefully.

Part of the problem is, you need a certain momentum to get across safely, so it's not easy to build back up to it, like you might build up to cornering fast or something.

I know I'd still have a problem with some of the round barred ones though - it's off and walking for those, which makes the stretch of riverside path with about 7 of them a bit of a pain...

Top Bottom