Another

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
recommendation needed:biggrin:

As you might have read I had all my bikes stolen on Thursday night/Friday morning. I'd like to replace 2 with 1.

I had a Dawes Discovery 201 which I used a lot, simple, tough but uncomfortable & slow. I also had a Dawes Kokomo MTB but really only used this to tow my daughters tag-a-long to the park and along the canal towpath.

I do towpath and road riding, usually in the same ride, the towpath can get rough (as in non-existent) but I'd really like 1 bike to perform both tasks, what can you recommend?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How about a MTB but with two sets of wheels - one with off road tyres and another with slicks - then you get a quick change when needed !

Specialized Tricross. I've got one. Nippy on roads and sturdy enough for tracks and paths. I've been on mountain tracks and rutted paths. I love it.

Hopefully the robbery will have a happy ending

oldgitofkent

Have to agree with the mtb with two sets of wheels, as ive done this. Unless your looking to get somewhere yesterday. My slicks are Specialized crossroads 26/1.95 which pump up to 80psi for on road and you can drop pressure to say 55 offroad if you want to stick with one set. Just no good on very loose or out & out mud paths you end up spinning

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
A MTB with 2 sets of wheels would be the sensible way to go but............I'd guess the MTB was only used in 15% of my riding and also I just can't be bothered to be changing wheels!:blush:

JohnR, many thanks for your offer, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately I live West, Shipley area. I was over in Market Weighton yesterday, wish I'd known. Just scanned Ebay and there is one 10 miles from me.

£450, what's the verdict, seems a little expensive for a well used 2nd hander.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Do you have a pit team:biggrin:

It'd take me 3 or 4, but still, I can't be bothered and the spare set of wheels will be hanging around and I'll then have 4 cycles, a tag-a-long and 2 motorbikes in a single garage.:blush:

simoncc

The ideal bike for towpath and road riding is a tourer. A Dawes Horizon or the Edinburgh Co-op version are good tourers for about £400ish. Tourers are the perfect all round bike, and you can even fit them with wheels that take thin road tyres if you ever fancy a bit of faster road riding.

bonj2

Let's not all be so keen to wheel out stock responses, eh.
Since the OP did say he rides towpaths and roads on the same ride, how is having two sets of wheels going to be logical - what's he to do, take one in a rucksack or panniers for when the terrain changes?

bonj2

I second the recommendation for specialized globe. I've never ridden one, but it looks like the sort of bike you want.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Do I want to know what an OP is?:blush:

This Globe thingy looks just the job, with some bar extensions it could be just the thing, I never can ride with just flat bars only.

Bet Lynch to me too:biggrin:

Top Bottom