Ant + delays and issues with various apps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

I'm a bit stuck with issues.

Firstly there seems to be a delay using Ant +, I was using Bkool and it was sitting at a certain wattage for up to 5 seconds before changing causing a delay in reading and gradient changes, also the speed kept going to estimated rather than what the turbo trainer was reading.

Using other apps like BigRingVR also have similar issues with the delay, in fact in this app the gradients seems harsh like a 5 percent felt more like a 10 perct.

In Bkool simulator, the difference was that the resistance was too easy and I was tootling up hills at 30mph and was just unrealistic and my weight was all correct.

I think Zwift is the most accurate so far but goes via phone on the mobile link but I want to use the Ant + adaptor (which I've places directly next to the reciever on the turbo trainer.

Anyone know what the issues are and if there is anyway to resolve them?

It's a Kickr Snap trainer I have.

Thanks.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Firmware up to date and advanced spindown done on wahoo app?

ibooij

Über Member
Hi @willhub, I can only speak for BigRingVR, but there's a difference in reaction speed in most trainers. As far as we've seen, Elite trainers seem to be the slowest, with a change of 5% taking about 2 seconds (Elite Real Turbo Muin B+). In BigRingVR, we communicate a change in gradient to the trainer immediately. Issues can occur when there is a lot of interference between trainer and ANT dongle, but you've mentioned placing the dongle right next to the trainer, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You mentioned that a 5% grade on BigRingVR feels more like 10%: It's actually the other way around. Default "difficulty setting" on Zwift is 50%, so a 10% hill will feel like 5% on Zwift. On BigRingVR, we try to be as realistic as possible, so for a grade of 10%, we communicate that exact amount to the trainer. You can configure the difficulty setting in BigRingVR to also use a 50% setting, but by default it's on 100%.

If you have a feeling your training isn't behaving properly with BigRingVR, you can always send us a message at bigring@bigringvr.com. Consider adding the files bigringvr.log and ant.log from Documents/Big-Ring to your message, so we can analyze what's going on.

Hi.

Sorry for late response to thread I've been off with cold and chest infection for 3 weeks so not bothered with it.

I gave it a go tonight, after rejigging my living room and further extending my USB cable so the ANT+ sensor is literally right under the roller about an inch from the receiver in the turbo trainer the delays seem to be negligible, at least in Zwift and BigRingVR. One thing though the response for gradient changed seems a bit slow still though, sometimes one gradient can feel like different gradients somehow.

Power readings also seem spot on, mirroring my Stages to some degree even though I haven't calibrated the stages for months.

I'd say I'm a lot happier and now any niggles probably are to do with bike fit and tinkering.

ibooij

Über Member
@willhub thanks for the response. Nice that getting the ANT stick closer to the trainer has resolved most of your issues.

@Flint indeed it's a bit of shame that we still have to use cables. One wonders if using WiFi and a "normal" network protocol wouldn't have been a better idea than using ANT+ or Bluetooth Smart. It would cost more energy, but most trainers are plugged into a power outlet anyway.

Going wireless does solve the possible issue of every trainer maker using a different kind of cable though :-)

Top Bottom