Anterior cruciate tear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
As above, good news :smile:

Nothing much is done for partial PCL tears, just time and keep the quads and other muscles strong (I had one too, my surgeon was supremely disinterested in that bit of the report, common in worn knees, my ACL is attenuated too for the same reason).

The fracture will also just need time if small, non weight bearing, no loose bits :okay:

Get some vitamin D down you if you don't already supplement :smile:

tinywheels

Über Member
Radiographers are techs, they don’t read MRIs, you’ll need to wait for the radiologist to report after going through dozens of slices
wrong,I suggest you look further into this field. Unless your American, then you would be correct.
Radiographer reporting is now well established in the UK.

vickster

Legendary Member
wrong,I suggest you look further into this field. Unless your American, then you would be correct.
Radiographer reporting is now well established in the UK.
Fair enough, if that’s the case in the NHS. My numerous MRI scans have all been done and reported privately by a Consultant radiologist in the UK.

My American what?

tinywheels

Über Member
Fair enough, if that’s the case in the NHS. My numerous MRI scans have all been done and reported privately by a Consultant radiologist in the UK.

My American what?
Private consultants, that's the guys who work in the NHS,and supplement their income by working elsewhere to fill their boots.
Nice work if you can get it.

American radiographers are a different profession to the UK. Techs,they aren't trained nor capable of reporting. The money is in the reporting, so Private medicine won't allow it. They are not autonomous professionals, they do as their told.

vickster

Legendary Member
Private consultants, that's the guys who work in the NHS,and supplement their income by working elsewhere to fill their boots.
Nice work if you can get it.

American radiographers are a different profession to the UK. Techs,they aren't trained nor capable of reporting. The money is in the reporting, so Private medicine won't allow it. They are not autonomous professionals, they do as their told.
If you say so :okay:

tinywheels

Über Member
If you say so :okay:
I know so,work beside them daily.
google your consultant and find out what else he gets up to.
More than three quarters of the consultants in my department work in the private sector also. It's wot they do!
You can hardly make ends meet on the paltry salary an NHS consultant gets.
Private schools and holiday homes in the Bahamas ain't cheap bro.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Consultants I see work in both? That’s pretty normal no as you said?
Anyhow what’s this got to do with the OPs ACL tear?🤷‍♀️
You can go debate healthcare provision in NACA if you want :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Radiographers are techs, they don’t read MRIs, you’ll need to wait for the radiologist to report after going through dozens of slices
I just happened on this and I have a suspicion within the NHS there are radiographers, who would be qualified, probably highly, technicians and consultant radiologists who I presume to be at a higher level. I couldn't give you a precise definition. I think most people's view would be the radiographer takes images but a doctor provides the diagnosis though I'd imagine the radiographer knows exactly what he/she has seen.

I'm only basing this on personal experience. I've been for X-ray on minor injuries either for myself or the kids on many occasions. The radiographer has never given an opinion in these instances.

In 2019 I suffered a brain haemorrhage, the will he wake up sort, and in the months following saw a consultant radiologist three times. The first two as part of routine follow up. The third time I went for a scan nine months after the event to assess the success or otherwise of the surgery.

On this third occasion while I was still laying on the table with the equipment over me the person who performed the scan walked over and said "The result is excellent. The repair has been 100% successful"

It turned out this man was a consultant radiologist and not a technician carrying out routine work. My belief is within the NHS there are both technicians and consultants working in this area.

The best few words I've ever heard. I cried!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
The orthopaedic/knee surgeon sent me a letter. He wants to see me for a face to face appointment and an assessmet.

It is nearly 6 months after the crash, the knee is still painful at times. I struggle to walk down stairs on it and I can do about 15 miles cycling before it hurts and swells up/sesative to touch. Steep hills bring the pain on and I cannot do any running without pain. Movement is still a little restricted but improving.

I have the last physio session that is paid for by the insurance company next week, although the physio is going to ask for more sessions. He has diagnosed tenosynavitus in my right hand (I am taking some naproxen for that, but go for a steroid injection from my doctor next week) Hopefully that will help with that issue. Just the knee, my neck and a pain I get in my groin from the crash and everything will be fine!

tinywheels

Über Member
Clearly I am surrounded by experts in this field. My decades of practice count for nothing. If you are unable to differentiate between a tech and a UK trained radiographer then I can't help you. All those reporting radiographers and radiographer consultants must be an illusion. I no longer know what I do for a living.

vickster

Legendary Member
Clearly I am surrounded by experts in this field. My decades of practice count for nothing. If you are unable to differentiate between a tech and a UK trained radiographer then I can't help you. All those reporting radiographers and radiographer consultants must be an illusion. I no longer know what I do for a living.
Which are you out of interest?
People are only citing from their own experience or observation.
Not claiming expertise which given you are presumably in one of the roles bolded gives you that :okay:
There’s no need to be snarky :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom