Anthracite.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is this stuff actually flammable in any way? Normally I burn housecoal, but I'm home with a cold today so I thought I'd go out and try anthracite for a change and build up a nice big fire that I could sit in front of feeling sorry for myself. So far I've been through two loads of kindling, half a newspaper and four firelighters and the sodding stuff's done no more than smoulder feebly before going out. Can any of you open fire people out there tell me how to get it going?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Is there a dead animal stuck up your chimney ?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Have you got a gas torch? The one you use to make the Creme Brulee?

It's a pig to get started and you need a clean grate, a good draught and industrial size fire lighters. Try 8 firelighters and a whole newspaper on a few pieces first, then add more as they take, that should get it going!

I found Anthracite a lot harder to control than housecoal and although I had half a bag stowed, I prefered to go cold if I ran out of HC on the boat!

T x

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I use anthracite on our multifuel stove. Most reliable way I have found to light it is to use two or three firelighters and cover them first with firewood, then with small pieces of anthracite before you apply a light. Don't use too much draught to start with, but once going nicely, gradually build it up.

domtyler

Über Member
RT, If you are very good between now and christmas I'll buy you a couple of decent sized lumps.

domtyler said:
RT, If you are very good between now and christmas I'll buy you a couple of decent sized lumps.

*practises being good*

this is difficult!:biggrin:

Pete

We used to have an anthracite boiler in the house when I was a kid. But this was a dedicated boiler meant for this fuel and no other (we lived in a Smokeless Zone) and the burner was fan-assisted. It would not have worked with ordinary coal or coke.

As far as I can recall, my father had no difficulty lighting the thing. The anthracite was fed from a hopper above controlled by a baffle. To light it, he would empty the combustion chamber and lay out paper and firewood to start off. Once it was well alight he would let down a little fuel from the hopper and turn on the fan. It would usually start up OK first time. If too much fuel was let down too soon, there would be a build up of coal gas and there would be a minor explosion in the fire chamber - causing the door to fly open and hot coals to be scattered all over the kitchen. :angry:

Furthermore, if the supply of oxygen were obstructed in any way (e.g. by too much clinker), the boiler would emit sulphurous fumes (probably laced with CO) into the kitchen - or the fuel in the feed hopper would start burning of its own accord. :biggrin:

Periodically one had to remove the clinker - something that could be done whilst the fire was still alight, though a bit hazardous! :biggrin:

All in all, I reckon that boiler would have failed every H&S test in the book if it were in use nowadays. But it did keep the house warm and heat our water...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Pete said:
We used to have an anthracite boiler in the house when I was a kid. But this was a dedicated boiler meant for this fuel and no other (we lived in a Smokeless Zone) and the burner was fan-assisted. It would not have worked with ordinary coal or coke.

As far as I can recall, my father had no difficulty lighting the thing. The anthracite was fed from a hopper above controlled by a baffle. To light it, he would empty the combustion chamber and lay out paper and firewood to start off. Once it was well alight he would let down a little fuel from the hopper and turn on the fan. It would usually start up OK first time. If too much fuel was let down too soon, there would be a build up of coal gas and there would be a minor explosion in the fire chamber - causing the door to fly open and hot coals to be scattered all over the kitchen. :angry:

Furthermore, if the supply of oxygen were obstructed in any way (e.g. by too much clinker), the boiler would emit sulphurous fumes (probably laced with CO) into the kitchen - or the fuel in the feed hopper would start burning of its own accord. :biggrin:

Periodically one had to remove the clinker - something that could be done whilst the fire was still alight, though a bit hazardous! :biggrin:

All in all, I reckon that boiler would have failed every H&S test in the book if it were in use nowadays. But it did keep the house warm and heat our water...

.....and you lived to tell the tale!:angry:

Pete

Anthracite was and is not cheap. I believe it cost my Dad over £20 per ton - which was more than a week's wages in those days. And the supplier used to have a knack of delivering it just after a shower of rain - which meant my Dad found he was paying partly for coal and partly for good honest water! Complaints to the coal merchant were futile - as always. I said earlier that we found the anthracite quite easy to get burning in the boiler. I should have added: when the fuel was dry. ;)

Top Bottom