Anti cycling piece on the One Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Amusing, or worrying, to see the taxi driver in the clip bemoaning the poor standard of cycling as he drove with one hand, leaning towards the passenger, as he tried to speak and drive.

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Is that you volunteering!? :biggrin:

Would it not have a little more impact if it had a few cyclists involved from different parts of the country, all singing from the same hymn sheet?

Thanks, now I have a mental image of all us helmet cam wearers lined up like a choir singing "He who would valiant be...."

I was thinking, perhaps, more along the lines of a camera crew at a junction, noting ALL the trangressors - amber gamblers, blatent rljing, all that, showing that drivers do it too. No, two wrongs don't make a right, but how come no one registers all the bad driving we see?

That said, if anyone wants to suggest a helmet cam feature, I'd be happy to take part... And I have form in the TV department as you know...

One of these days, I'll follow up my own idea and do a one woman traffic survey at a junction near here, and actually count how many vehicles go through the lights/drivers on the phone etc. Add in the 'minor' stuff, like entering a box junction, blocking a ped crossing, entering an ASL and so on and it'll go on for pages and pages...

Cab

magnatom said:
Is that you volunteering!? :tongue:

Would it not have a little more impact if it had a few cyclists involved from different parts of the country, all singing from the same hymn sheet?

Would indeed.

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hehe the helmet cam sounds like a good idea. After all Arch got on look North didn't she :tongue:

Not sure what the One Show would think because they'd probably view it as balanced but I think the very choice of Carol Thatcher shows it wasn't (although she didn't quite go into usual angry mode). Usual beeb tactic of "I've just started cycling and I'm shocked, shocked, shocked!!!" on quite a few of these pieces. It wasn't so bad as Des Lynam was on and lightened the mood considerably with comments after. I think the one that winds me up the most thesedays is the one way street claim, it may not be a particularly big deal but it's one I see cars breaking quite regularly if one goes to the places far away in the city where there are quite a few one way streets.

Notsoblue

What an annoying piece! They make it sound like all cyclists blindly ride at high speed through all red lights and on pavements, yelling at pedestrians as they make them jump out of the way to safety and making cars swerve to avoid them.

Nobody has a really valid point to make. Its all just biased misguided anecdotes. Its does nothing but make people hostile towards cyclists.

Top Bottom