Anti theft locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I personally do not think any lock is really secure, I view them as a visual deterrent as much as anything. I personally use big motorcycle locks and chains

Night Train

Maker of Things
I always secure my bike to something solid and immovable, like a decent bike rack or lamp post, though a pile of bikes all locked together would do if I had no option. I wouldn't trust it if it could be carried away, no matter how noisy an alarm was.

I use an Abus Granit Extreme.
1233577889628-1mlazg76lfheq-399-75.jpg

I also have an Abus disc lock and chain adjusted to form a loose noose at one end and a tight locked noose at the other end.
Abus_VictoryX.jpg

I also have an Abus Granit Quick 37 with an Oxford Monster 14mm chain.
GranitQuick37_3__85378.jpg

OFM12_b.jpg

Over kill and over weight perhaps:training: but I can select one, or two, to take depending on need. (I originally got that lot when I had a costly motorbike, hence my user name. Motorbike then sold and a workshop built with the proceeds.)

With some of my bikes losing the lock would be a bigger financial hit then losing the bike!:blink:

Often I just have a cheap and light weight 4 digit combination cable lock fed through the wheels and frame and around something solid, and also a cheap D lock for speed, and I keep the bike in sight.
coyote_lock.jpg

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Yes absolutely you get what you pay for...there are no bargains in cycle security. If it is cheap it probably has a very low security value. It's very easy to pick a locked bike up, throw it in a van and then sort the lock out later - so even a good lock has limited value unless the bike is secured to something immovable such as railings. Don't make the mistake of leaving your bike unlocked in your shed or garage either.... lots are stolen that way. There's a security rating system for bike locks called Sold Secure where the best security is rated Gold. A search of eBay or Amazon for Sold Secure Gold will give you a range of results. Bulldog are amongst the cheaper brands for Gold rated products.

byegad

Legendary Member
As has been said, if Bill the Burglar really wants your trike they will get it. No matter what you do this applies. BUT you can make it difficult for them and, has been said above, the more expensive, and usually heavier the lock the more secure your trike will be.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I have heard it said that, as a rule of thumb, you should spend approx 10% of the value of your bike/trike on a lock. :ohmy:

Top Bottom