Any advice on these 3 bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wonder if i could get some advice from you guys.

I am getting a new bike to commute back and forth to work 2-3 days a week and for the odd weekend casual ride.

After a bit of research i believe a Hybrid would be best for me, as my commute is a mix of road and canal path (very good quality, with little or no bumps)

I think i have narrowed my choice down to between 3 bikes... (I am kinda limited to Evans cycles as i am getting my bike through the Ride2Work scheme.)

Norco Indie 2
Cannondale Quick CX3
Scott Sportster X40

Any advice on the bikes or components would be greatly appreciated.

I used to own a MTB up until 7-8 years ago, when it got stolen and i never replaced it. I have been borrowing a friends full suspension MTB for the odd small ride with a few friends, but it seemed very heavy and found i was maxing out the gears quite a lot.

Thanks in Advance

Darren

festival

Über Member
I don't know any of the bikes, but they all look to have good enough quality for your needs.
Some things to consider are, will you benefits from front fork suspension or rigid forks? do you have clearance for fatter tyres if you wish to change them? Do you need to fit panniers and does the bike have frame fittings for them? Are the gear ratios suitable for your 'fast' commute? And of course the fit?

OP
OP
Opt1mu5Pr1m3

Opt1mu5Pr1m3

1. Will you benefits from front fork suspension or rigid forks? - With my normal daily commute, i don't think i need front suspension as its so flat, but i was considering it as it would give me more options if i went for some weekend rides. Both of the bikes with front suspension have lock out.
  2. Do you have clearance for fatter tyres if you wish to change them? - That is something i overlooked, i will check that out - TY
  3. Do you need to fit panniers and does the bike have frame fittings for them? - Yes for all 3
  4. Are the gear ratios suitable for your 'fast' commute? - Not sure if its correct, but all i have gone on is basically the number of teeth on the gears, all these have pretty much the same. I took a test ride on a Specialized (something Disc) with the same ratios and that seemed fine.
  5. And of course the fit?- Not sure on the fit/feel, i was going to try and narrow my decision down to 3, then test ride before i bought something.
Darren

SquareDaff

Über Member
I've been commutting for about 3 years now. Personally I'd avoid anything with front suspension like the plague. A carbon fork and a 35mm tyre will happily soak up all the potholes you'll find on your commute and the whole bike will be lighter and more responsive as a result.

Another question you should be asking - can you fit mudguards? I don't like the look of mudguards on bikes but fit them to my commuting machine. They're a god send in winter!

OP
OP
Opt1mu5Pr1m3

Opt1mu5Pr1m3

Thanks for your questions, i will investigate further with regards the front suspension. When looking, i didn't notice any Hybrids with carbon forks, but will check again. (edit: within my £500 budget)

As for the mudguards, yep i have looked into them and they fit on all 3 of the bikes listed. (I did go to edit the above post, but i was too slow...lol)

Darren

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
At very first glance, for me the Norco wins having rigid forks unless I was into serious off roading, I would not consider suspension :rolleyes:

Edit: But that Speedster 50 beats them all ;)

OP
OP
Opt1mu5Pr1m3

Opt1mu5Pr1m3

Update: Had a few test rides on the weekend. I had short runs on the Scott Speedster, a Specialized Sirrus Sport, a Pinnacle Neon 3 & a Fuji Absolute.

The Scott Speedster was definitely the nicest ride for me out of the above, with maybe the Fuji second.

The ride was a little bumpier than i am used too, but i think that just the switch from having larger tyres on a MTB, nothing i couldn't get used to (or maybe invest in a set of padded shorts :tongue: ).

Just have to hope the stocks hold out until my boss gets back off holidays on Monday to sign the certificate off, looks like they are getting discontinued ready for the 2014 models and stocks are getting low :unsure:

Darren

Leodis

Veteran
You could buy my Cannondale Bad Boy R4 2012 for £450 :tongue: got Marathon Plus tyres and is in decent nick, done about 2,000 miles.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If in Cardiff you could use Tredz or Evans. Quite a few good small shops as well such as the one on Rumney Hill and Sunset Bikes in Cathays. Sunset do Trek hybrids which are also good.

For mostly riding on the road I think you are doing the right thing in not having suspension forks. 32 mm tyres will soak up the rough roads ok just dont bang up and down curbs and potholes.

Good Luck.

Top Bottom