Any ambulance paramedics here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not a job I'd want to do for any money, never mind the pittance they earn, but huge kudos to those that do it, and kudos to you OMG for wanting to.

Good luck.

midlife

Guru
There used to be an age limit on nurse / medical training but this was 30 plus years ago. 28 years old rings a bell. They wanted to train them young to get their 40 years out of them.

All they did was leave younger LOL

JoshM

Here in Scotland they'll pay you to do the course.You do the technician course first then you are expected to apply for the conversion to paramedic course as it comes up. The only requirements are a reasonable high school education and a driver's licence with C1 provision at the time of appointment(i.e. you can apply without so long as you get it before you start.)

https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/search?p=132

Worth a look

Last edited:

JoshM

[QUOTE 4974112, member: 21629"]@JoshM

Ahaaaa, I didn't even know that ! Thank you.

I need to find out about C1 category - another thing I'd never thought about.[/QUOTE]

They close this week, so it might be worth sticking an application in anyway if you're remotely considering it.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I watched the ambulance documentary on BBC1 last night.
Very eye opening to the rubbish and abuse that the paramedics have to put up with. Well worth watching on iPlayer.
One guy called an ambulance over 200 Times in 3 months. Every paramedic knew him by name. Think of the waste of resources for that one individual.

classic33

Leg End Member
Very eye opening to the rubbish and abuse that the paramedics have to put up with. Well worth watching on iPlayer.
One guy called an ambulance over 200 Times in 3 months. Every paramedic knew him by name. Think of the waste of resources for that one individual.
I've seen first-hand, some of what they get day in day out. They're there to help, not be abused.

They seem to take it as an accepted part of the job.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I had a couple of hospital transfers via ambulance. Chatting to the paramedic I was amazed to learn about people who are serial 999 diallers. Apparently these people are lonely, attention seeking or both as a rule. The medics know when the call comes in it will be false but have no choice but to give it the blue light eight minute response just in case.

Presumably genuinely ill people may die as a result. Terrible waste of highly skilled resources.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A friend of mine embarked on the course 3-4 years ago. She was mid 50's then.
She got on well with the medical side of things. The driving side was ok for her and the university stuff was manageable. Put the 3 parts together and she found it stretching, as there is hoop after hoop to jump through.
Once out in the road as the number 2 of a pair she really enjoyed it, though the shifts meant we rarely saw her. When we did she was knackered!

She was at stage 2 of 3 parts to become a full paramedic (at this point she was an ambulance technician or something, I can't remember the term)
She had to do Certain amounts of training on certain things, with qualified people, but wasn't being allocated the time, yet she was actually asked to be the number 1 in a crew and have a raw recruit as her number 2. It was this kind of organisation cock up and bad practice that made her pack it in. She felt that it was all a bit 'skating on thin ice'

She now works in patient transport.

Dave 123

Legendary Member

My friend told me of the serial callers, some time wasters, but some regular callers who sit and drink all day at home, sat in their own sh1t and p1ss who just pass out, drunk to oblivion. Someone finds them and calls the ambulance.....
She told me of the person with mental issues who severed his dick.
She told me of the old man in the 2 bedroom flat. Not a stick of furniture other than the chair he was sat in. No family, no friends.

It's a whole other world that most of us (gladly) don't get to look in to.

si_c

Guru
Back on point, my best friend did his paramedic training with Yorkshire in Hull about 10 years ago, he had a very high opinion of the programme, plus they paid him whilst he did it. It's worth looking around the country as each ambulance service will recruit in a slightly different way.

Good luck.

Top Bottom