Any ancient cricket history buffs here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
.....not are you ancient and a cricket buff^_^, but are you clued up on pre-1900 cricket history, or knows who can help?

I'm trying to help a friend who has an interesting bit of sports memorabilia to find out a bit more, but we're both totally clueless about cricket. My friends family live in Gloucs, and while rummaging in the attic in preparation for a house move recently dug up an old letter, written to a grandad or great grandad from cricketing legend W.G Grace.

The handwritten letter was sent from Thrisell House, Stapleton Rd, Bristol, WG's former residence, now demolished and a leisure centre bearing his name is in its place I've just found out on google. The letter is dated June 13th 1886, so is 131 years old, WOW, that is cricket history:eek:.

The letter says:

"Dear Mr Clarke,

I shall be pleased to accept your kind invitation, I am afraid we shall have a poor team. I think I can put up with your style of ham once more,

believe me,

yours.....

WG Grace"

Isn't that great^_^. The family were unaware of their own families ham prowess^_^

W.G played for Gloucs and Eng amongst others, and I was wondering if its possible to trace what games this letter is referring to, was it a county game, or a test? Who played? What were the scores? How did WG do in the games, was there any notable events in the matches or any other history would be great to know. The family are'nt current fans of cricket but would love to know a bit more info to paint more of a picture, and I've had a brief google but have'nt really unearthed much detail from this far back.

I have googled and it seems Australia did tour in 1886, it was only in 1882 that the 'Ashes' legend was born after Eng lost to the Aussies in Australia, which was declared at the time the death of English cricket.

So it may be from a very early Ashes tour, but i'm not sure if any of these game were played in the Gloucs area, maybe it was just a warm up match, or just a normal county game, I've no idea....

Anyone have any info? I thought I could maybe write to Gloucs CC, and I live a stones throw from the Oval cricket ground so do they, or Lords have a department I can ask about such things?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@User14044 ^_^ I was going to add someone from Cyclechat must have been at the game but thought better of it^_^

I shall be pleased to accept your kind invitation, I am afraid we shall have a poor team. I think I can put up with your style of ham once more,
I'd read that as Grandpappy previous writing to Grace and saying "Do you want to gather a team together and play our parish team - again? The ladies will serve tea and cakes, at lunch, and afterwards I will treat you to my famous boiled ham."

If that's the case, the best source of further info is in the chest the letter was in.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I might be inclined to go from the other direction. Was Mr Clarke a noted purveyor of ham? A toff with a large house and his own pig herd? Or, as @jefmcg suggests a local cricket team organiser? Is the word actually "ham"?

If you want to know about WG Grace in 1886 the first port of call would be the relevant Wisden (probably 1887) - a very large local library may have a copy.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
OK cheers for info so far, I'll just check back with family to find out where exactly Mr Clarke was, they were'nt aware of any great ham history, of the meat or poor performance variety^_^. Yeah the word is definitely ham. I don't think they were proper posh with large country manors or anything. Wisden 1886/7 looks worth checking too, thanks.

I would suggest that your first move would be to contact Gloucestershire CCC and see if there is anyone in the county archives/records dept. who could help. Must be a lot of experts there, I'd imagine.

Otherwise, Lord's might be interested in the letter. Mike Gatting would be definitely interested in reading about the lunch.

Looking around on cricinfo's website, I found this Test (3-4 weeks after the 13th June) where WG played (without distinction):

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/17704/scorecard/62417/England-vs-Australia-1st-Test.

ozboz

Guru
Wow ! what a find , l used to collect antique cricket stuff when I was in Australia , some really old stuff from around the world , can you get a photo of it ?
Just out of curiosity ,

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Great thanks @Dayvo. @ozboz yes i was impressed and I'm not even a cricket fan^_^, but I'm a total sucker for a bit of history. I'll ask and see if they mind me posting it here and report back.

Top Bottom