Any arsenal fans...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went to a party last night and who should be there but Martin Keown. OK, I'm not an arsenal fan, though saw him in action with England occasionally. I resisted the temptation to say 'hello Martin'... but if I'd know yesterday that we share the same birthday I might have done :laugh:

Melvil

Tried to get tickets to his testimonial but all sold out unfortunately...yes, he seemed like a nice guy.

As a gooner I'm a little worried that a lot of our talent seems to be heading to the med with no corresponding influx. Grrrr. Damn Arsene and his cheap 'youth squad' ways...!

Melvil

Dayvo said:
Any arsenal fans...?

Who TF would want to admit to that? ;) Being a yid (Spurs fan - not, er, Jewish!).

Isn't that where they all came from in the first place? :thumbsup:

Well obviously :tongue::biggrin: - I think our last bit of home grown talent was jug ears who went to Everton. Wished we'd kept hold of Bentley, too.

yello

Melvil, wait until you see the new signing, Sami Nasri. He's young but obviously talented. I've seen him a number of times (ont' tele) and he's always impressed me. He might take a bit of time to adapt to the more physical English game, as he's not the biggest of blokes (around 5' 8" and 12 stone) and not one to put it about, but I reckon he'll shine under Wenger's tutorship.

Melvil

yello said:
Melvil, wait until you see the new signing, Sami Nasri. He's young but obviously talented. I've seen him a number of times (ont' tele) and he's always impressed me. He might take a bit of time to adapt to the more physical English game, as he's not the biggest of blokes (around 5' 8" and 12 stone) and not one to put it about, but I reckon he'll shine under Wenger's tutorship.

I heard he was really good (was he at Marseille?) but I just worry that a lack of physicality makes us miss out on titles. Just look how good the Arsenal were with the roughness of Vieira combined with the power and grace of Henry.

yello

Yep, Olympique Marseille, born and bred. He was France's young player of the year last year, ahead of the much talked about Benzema. A creative midfielder but not combative so he may need a minder!

For me, I think Arsenal were the most attractive team to watch in the Premiership last year but I reckoned it was always going to take a couple of seasons for the much changed, younger squad to start winning trophies. I think they did damned well all things considered. I don't think they've not lost too many players for that progress to be stemmed.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Wouldn't know the guy if he was in the same room as me.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
yello said:
I think they did damned well all things considered. I don't think they've not lost too many players for that progress to be stemmed.

There were a few negatives in there Yello but I think losing Flamini, Hleb and Adebayor may be a bridge too far but Wenger's a canny manager.

yello

rich p said:
There were a few negatives in there Yello.

Hmmm, that's what happens when you rephrase mid-sentence, as I am oft inclined to do!

I didn't realise Adebayor had gone.... I rated Hleb but he blew hot and cold. Flamini was class. Thing about Wenger is that he finds these rough gems from all manner of places and polishes them. There's probably a few more kids we've never heard of that he'll just produce from up his sleeve!

Wenger's a clever man in the transfer market. Consider the following

Nicholas Anelka
Thierry Henry
Reyes
Marc Overmaars
Emmanuel Petit
Patrick Viera

Now, tell me this. Which of the managers that bought these players from Arsenal still believe they got a bargain? Overmaars was good at Barcelona, but not £25m good. Anelka, sold for forty times the purchase price, was sold on a year later. Henry and Viera, sold for a combined fee of £30m have simply slid toward retirement. Reyes is going nowhere.

And remember. He sold all of these players 'reluctantly'. Hleb won't be missed, but you can be sure that Wenger will 'fight' to keep him. Flamini can be replaced. And Adebayor, who is, potentially, a great, great player, will be sold for a shedload of dough.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
yello said:
Hmmm, that's what happens when you rephrase mid-sentence, as I am oft inclined to do!

I didn't realise Adebayor had gone.... I rated Hleb but he blew hot and cold. Flamini was class. Thing about Wenger is that he finds these rough gems from all manner of places and polishes them. There's probably a few more kids we've never heard of that he'll just produce from up his sleeve!

Adebayor is rumoured to be on the way out. Apparently he's only on £35K pw so he's struggling to make ends meet. Poor soul!

Top Bottom