Any Artists out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Location
Brighton
They look very attractive Archeress but I wish you'd stop hugging me!!^_^
 
OP
OP
Archeress

Archeress

Guru
Location
Bristol
Nice but if you could offer kid leather covers, possibly embossed, and marbled end papers you would add a lot of value.

I agree, but I'm still learning the trade and working my way up to leather. Leather is too expensive to make a mess of it.

Hugs
Archeress x
 

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Location
Northumberland
Watercolour paper is usually produced with 3 'finishes'- smoother hot-rolled or hot-pressed paper, not as smooth cold-pressed paper [called 'Not' because it's not hot-pressed paper- I know it's daft] and cold pressed rough paper. I prefer 'Not' paper because it has a bit of texture but you can still draw on it easily unlike rough which is too textured.
 
Last edited:

Globalti

Squire
Here's a nice wee story: my Father-in-law was a funeral director and when he died he left a massive Victorian family bible, which had collapsed under its own weight. It was a superb book, leather tooled with clasps to hold it shut. His widow didn't want to throw it away so I did some thinking and came up with a wheeze: it just happens that up the road from my house at the time is the UK's foremost restorer of antique books, in the town of Ramsbottom. I took the bible along and the bloke confirmed that it was possible to rebuild it for about 150 quid. The bible dated from something like 1875, it would have cost a cotton mill working family a lot of money and they'd have bought it on credit from a travelling salesman. The cover was kid leather from northern Nigeria and each page would have taken a type setter one entire week to set!

Now it just happens that I have a customer in Nigeria who is deeply religious and has a small chapel in his house. So I went to see my boss and persuaded him to pay for restoring the bible and bunging £100 to my MIL, and then we gave the restored bible to my customer as a 50th birthday gift! He was blown away by it, the MIL was delighted with the cash and happy that it went to a good home and one lovely old book got put to good use. Triple result!
 
OP
OP
Archeress

Archeress

Guru
Location
Bristol
@Archie_tect

I don't make paper at the moment, but I'll look into this Not Paper and see if I think I could turn it into a book.

Hugs
Archeress x
 
Top Bottom