Any audiologists out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi all, this is a long shot but I have mild hearing loss & have been wearing aids for a year or so.
My problem is when I take them out before bedtime they work perfectly, yet when I put them back in my ears the following morning the volume needs re-adjusting in one or both ears?
They cost £250 and are great throughout the day. I'm beginning to think something happens inside the ear during sleep, such as wax movement? I know it's an unusual post but it drives me mad every morning. Any suggestions?
Many Thanks.

I’m not an audiologist but have worked on medical equipment for over 3 decades.

How it the fit in your ear? Are they able to be fitted precisely of able to be moved or orientated slightly different each time?

I would suggest, tomorrow, you try playing with the position of the device fir before adjusting volume.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

I’m not an audiologist but have worked on medical equipment for over 3 decades.

How it the fit in your ear? Are they able to be fitted precisely of able to be moved or orientated slightly different each time?

I would suggest, tomorrow, you try playing with the position of the device fir before adjusting volume.

They are large, soft silicone domes so fit quite snugly . They are the largest available size - the smaller domes tend to whistle. My ears are quite sweaty following sleep so yes, the domes probably move at first.

Tenkaykev

Guru
On a relevant topic, I read an article on Ars Technica about hearing aids now being available over the counter in the USA. I found it very informative, I've long since thought that hearing aids were needlessly, (and eye wateringly) expensive. One of the comments on the article said that they only wished that they would also make contact lenses available in a similar way, and someone pointed out that in some places in europe they had vending machines that sold them.
Link:
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...ay-available-over-the-counter-for-first-time/

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have one NHS hearing aid which is a replacement for one which died for some reason unknown to me. Initially the new one whistled badly and had to be reset daily but I took it back to get fixed and it has never needed readjustment.

Mine have different profiles for different scenarios - TV - Speech in noise etc.
However when you first switch them on they always default to the automatic settings.

Phonak nova m

Top Bottom