Any bristolian cyclists out there :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Franlea

Hi Everyone

I am novice cyclist. I last had a bike when I was 14 and my partner bought me another at the age of 35 last summer lol. I love to cycle however I am gradually building up my confidence. I can cycle well and am extremly safe when it comes to balance etc etc but roads i am not good with.

My ambition is to start riding home from work (Broadmead to St george). The plan is to get off and push the bike at roads I am not comfortable with and build myself up. I am planning to cycle across castle Park through gardener haskins and find my way to the bottom of Barton hill so I can cycle the remainder of my journey along the river.

My question is does anyone out there know this route if so do you have any advice ie can i get on the river path before barton hill or can you reacommend quit places to cycle through to get to the river path until my confidence is built up???????????

Hope this makes sence.

Many Thanks

Fran

PS I am in the process of getting equipment accesories for my bike does any body know any good websites where I can by a bike basket bells bags etc.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm in Bristol, and know part of that route but not the bit by the river. How far into St George, basically on a high bit or ending up lower down by the river? If the higher up part you could use the Bristol to Bath path to get you home, it would give you an easier gradient. The cycle path starts not too far from Gardiner Haskins. (I'm also wondering how you are intending to get your bike to work since you only mention your homeward journey :whistle::biggrin:

OP
OP
F

Franlea

Hello thankyou for replying. Ok so my plan hopefully is to get to the bottom of Barton hill cut onto the path at the netham (not sure if you know it) then I come out but the bridges by lookers car show room. I then can cut back onto the river there and come out probably by the bull pub. I live on troopers hill. My partner has a van and drops me to work and I will ride back . This may change once I get my confidence as I have never rode anywhere apart from a cycle track before lol xx

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As a fellow Bristolian, my first comment is that I feel the average Bristol motorist (including Buses & trucks) are pretty tolerant and considerate, with a few exceptions of course.

My only real hint, not Bristol specific, is cycle a good way out from the gutter - best part of a metre - and take the lane properly if there's a pinch point or if your in the middle lane at a roundabout.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Hi Fran, I'm up in South Glos and don't know the routes you propose but when I do venture into the city centre I find loads of other cyclists and have been known to follow them for a bit if they've been going the rough direction I need to travel !

As for kit, Aldi have some reasonable stuff/accessories/clothing in this week if you have one local. Otherwise a lot of people use www.wiggle.co.uk or www.highonbikes.com is another one I have had good service from.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm also a South Glos cyclist, but I do cycle through Bristol occasionally. I am wondering if you want to cycle along the feeder canal rather than the river? I would use the Bristol-Bath cycle path via Lawrence Hill and get off at whitehall road. Alternatively, you could cycle under the railway bridges on Avon Street and ride along the Feeder Road.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Feeder road is fine for a more experienced rider but I don't think I would want to cycle there as a relatively inexperienced rider, I think there is a cycle path along part of it but not the whole way, and the bit by the lights which featured on a cycling video (the one where the van jumped the lights and was subsequently sacked), isn't one of the more cycle friendly parts of Bristol.

Franlea can you time your journey so that it isn't at peak commuter times?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Feeder road is fine for a more experienced rider but I don't think I would want to cycle there as a relatively inexperienced rider, I think there is a cycle path along part of it but not the whole way, and the bit by the lights which featured on a cycling video (the one where the van jumped the lights and was subsequently sacked), isn't one of the more cycle friendly parts of Bristol.

I agree, I would try to avoid the Feeder Road too.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Hi Franlea....I'm another almost Bristolian in that I am just south of the city but commute out to Nailsea (against the flow of the city commuters!), I started last summer and love it. I venture into town on my bike at weekends etc and am still trying to look like I know where I am going ;) I have no idea about your commute but just wanted to say hi and keep on pedalling!

Spartak