Any bristolian cyclists out there :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
HI, I don't know Bristol at all, but isn't it a designated cycling city or something? Is there no training scheme available in the city so that Franlea can get some experience with an instructor? - tho' I'm sure riding with Summerdays will be helpful too :smile:

I had the chance of some training with a Bikeability instructor recently and found it useful. They were offering different levels from complete beginners to experienced cyclists. I was lucky enough to get a one-to-one session so we could concentrate on roundabouts and junctions that I was nervous of.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is cycle training offered by the council:

W: Bristol Bikeability - www.bristol.cycletms.com
T: 0117 922 4383
E: road.safety@bristol.gov.uk

I know someone who had some recently.​

OP
OP
F

Franlea

Thanks guys will def look into the training as will give me slit more freedom and choice cycling home.

Summerdayes that is do nice of you thankyou x alas I leave work at 4:30 or 5:00 depending on days.

I have however today gone with my partner and worked out exactly what way I'm going. Also got a helmet etc and my brother came round to sort out a few odds and ends on my bike.

So I'm set for the off Monday

SWSteve

Guru
Also a Bristol cyclist, have always been left plenty of space, not quite the same once you venture out of the city.

I would recommend trying a couple of different routes until you find one you're comfortable with, and then go with it. If you're able stick with the B2B cyclepath, and then peel off for your destination, then this is something that I cannot recommend strongly enough, that path is incredible for commuting.

If you need help with kit then I would recommend wiggle and evans discounts to start off with, the latter occasionally chucks up some real bargains if you're not too fussy about someone also trying it on/checking it fits

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Try different routes at different times of day and weather, they can vary. So I will take a longer less exposed route on windy days for example. Also time how long it takes you now and then look back at the figure in a month or two's time! Well done though :bravo:

James Blackwell

Different routes is a good plan. I have three options on some really busy sections of my commute depending on the weather/time and how I am feeling.

Glad it went well though. Congrats :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Wel
Morning Everyone.

It went Brill summerdayes, I really enjoyed it :smile: Tuesday I took one route and although it went well I didnt feel I went the best way. Wednesday I took another route cycled more (rather than getting of and pushing) and loved it. I felt as if I really achieved something and am getting good exercise.
l Played.

you may want to cast your eye across our very own guide to cycling in cities.

It may help to give you confidence in knowing what is "Right and Wrong", so to speak.

J
link to guide thread below
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/

Top Bottom