Any car mechanics on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
I have an 02 combo 1.7dti good runner but really scruffy. My brother in law has offered me his tidy 56 1.3cdti combo with knackered engine. Is a transplant viable? Physically I think the shell is the same things like wiring, key readers etc that I'm not sure about. Cheers!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Try posting a message on this forum - it's run by the same people who run this one.
http://www.car4play.com/forum/threads.htm?f=1

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Might be doable, you'll probably have to change the ECU with the engine, what about the gearbox, is that compatible? Driveshafts etc?
But you'll also have to inform the insurance company who may ask if the 1.3 brakes are up to the job of stopping a 1.7 engine!
Not sure it's worth the hassle. May be better to get a good used 1.3ctdi engine.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Don't know the specifics, but 5 years is quite a gap, when we went 2.5 Mitsubishi to 2.5 Mitsubishi with a 4 year gap there was a fair amount of stuff that wasn't an easy bolt this to that job as they'd changed the way connectors worked in the intervening gap. Similarly going between a couple of V6 Mazda engines of different years.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Yes - it's how I found this forum. I spent 30 years working on cars until everything you could do was either self-lubricating, self-adjusting or controlled by a microchip. I then became interested in bikes and somebody on Car4Play recommended it's sister site - Cycle Chat. I think it might have been Bromptonaut.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes - it's how I found this forum. I spent 30 years working on cars until everything you could do was either self-lubricating, self-adjusting or controlled by a microchip. I then became interested in bikes and somebody on Car4Play recommended it's sister site - Cycle Chat. I think it might have been Bromptonaut.
It probably was, him being a member of both parishes, but it isn't a sister site to this one. C4P is a stand alone forum that splintered from Honest John when that site had problems after a revamp.

hedder2212

I have an 02 combo 1.7dti good runner but really scruffy. My brother in law has offered me his tidy 56 1.3cdti combo with knackered engine. Is a transplant viable? Physically I think the shell is the same things like wiring, key readers etc that I'm not sure about. Cheers!
To put the 1.7tdi into the newer 1.3 is doable but you'd need to put the engine mounts, computer, wiring, brakes etc from the 1.7 into the 1.3.
the shells aren't that different but the wiring from the 1.7 isn't the same as the 1.3.

Obviously it goes without saying you legally have to inform the DVLA and your insurers of engine size change and all other modifications such as brakes etc (putting the brakes from the 1.7 would be a completely different mod to a engine swap)

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Pretty sure the 1.3 is a Fiat engine and the 1.7 is GM.

I don't think its a straight swap, probably loom and ECU, maybe a couple of other bits. Gearbox??
Been a while since I have worked on cars/vans.

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
the 1.3 is fiat I believe and the 1.7 isuzu secondhand 1.3 engines are dear probably cause they fail hence high demand I've got a complete 'donor' van so gearbox ecu driveshafts front hubs and brakes etc etc.

hedder2212

In theory it should all just swap over in that case.
That's if you want to get so involved in completely gutting one van and transferring everything over from the donor to the gutted one. Ive done a "shell change" three times but not on a van. Got to be a little easier/a little simpler than a car.

I know the shells on the two are pretty much the same (work in a breakers yard part time stripping all sorts down) Engine, front subframe etc should drop out as one unit If I remember correctly. its how we used to swap engines on corsas back in the day anyway. Would make for a good thread on a car forum if you do go ahead and do it.

Top Bottom