Any chromebook users out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dumb question, but I'm having no luck trying to find an answer, so...

Does anyone know how to paste a copied image into google photos for editing?

I can edit photos I pull up from HD/google drive, but I cannot seem to find any way to open an 'empty editing desktop' into which I can ctrl-V a grabbed image to edit.

Any handy hints & tips much appreciated.

Can't you find the image in "files", right click on the image, the menu then shows you (should be at the top) "open with gallery".
?
That then gives you basic editing tools at the top of what it has opened.

Mind you I only ever do basic editing.

nickprior

Veteran
I've just copied an image to the clipboard, then opened Google Photos, pressed CTRL-V and the copied image is pasted into Photos. Then opened image in Photos and proceeded to edit in the usual way. This what you're after?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've just copied an image to the clipboard, then opened Google Photos, pressed CTRL-V and the copied image is pasted into Photos. Then opened image in Photos and proceeded to edit in the usual way. This what you're after?
Absolutely! I can put the image on the clipboard, but when I open Google Photos I find myself looking at this:

1629733583797.png

...and I've been unable to find an 'editing screen' anywhere among the icons on the left.

I'm sure it's really simple, but I'm baffled... :wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Does 4 mean I have to install a separate app?

I wondered about that,

I've only ever installed a couple of extra apps on my Chromebook, but the process was easy enough.

Worth a look in the playstore or whatever they call it for 'photo editing apps', although I agree Google Photos ought to work.

nickprior

Veteran
So after you opened Google Photos did you press CTRL-V to paste in your clipboard image? Once you have done that, you then open the image in Google Photos and find the editing icon (top right, looks like a bunch of sliders) and away you go.

nickprior

Veteran
ie ignore the instruction to "create a new image".

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
So after you opened Google Photos did you press CTRL-V to paste in your clipboard image? Once you have done that, you then open the image in Google Photos and find the editing icon (top right, looks like a bunch of sliders) and away you go.
As per msg 5 above, there's nowhere to Ctrl-V into. :cry:

nickprior

Veteran
You press CTRL-V while looking at the screen you shared earlier. Your clipboard file will then get uploaded into Google Photos from where you will be able to open the file and then use the Google Photos editing feature. You don't paste the file into an editing screen which is what I think you're expecting.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You don't paste the file into an editing screen which is what I think you're expecting.

That is indeed what I was if not expecting then certainly hoping for.

You press CTRL-V while looking at the screen you shared earlier. Your clipboard file will then get uploaded into Google Photos from where you will be able to open the file and then use the Google Photos editing feature.

Thanks but....

*sigh*

I can't even manage that. I get as far as Ctrl-V; nothing on-screen changes; I can't find the image I just 'pasted', so I can't open it.

:cry:

On my old laptop I could ctrl-c, open up Photofiltre (a freeware image editor), ctrl-v, and there's the picture. Am I right in thinking google photos doesn't offer anything comparable, in which case I suppose I need to find a new 'Photofiltre' (I would install Photofiltre, but it's Windows only.)

If that is the case, does anyone know of a 'Photofiltre' I could install on this new Chromebook?

(Or if someone could tell me how to open the file I just ctrl-V'd in google photos, that would be great.)

I have to say, a fortnight in I'm less than enthralled by the chromebook experience. :sad:

I'm still failing to see what the problem is here. You say you can work with stuff on "HD" or google drive OK.
Why not just download from google photos and do what you normally do with images?

The only thing I have ever failed to do on a chromebook which I can do on a PC is one or two garmin bits (to do with custom POIs and garmin software updates) which need their own software which won't run on a chromebook - god knows why they can't provide a web interface.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I'm not quite sure I understand what your 'workflow' is here.
On my old laptop I could ctrl-c ...
Where was the image you were ctrl+c ing? Was it in a folder, as it might also be on your Chromebook? Or was it opened in an image viewer, such as Windows Photo Viewer?
If that is the case, does anyone know of a 'Photofiltre' I could install on this new Chromebook?
One way to think about this is that Chromebooks are about accessing the web more than accessing files, so it's more about accessing web-based, rather than computer based applications e.g. Google docs works (mostly) online, whereas MS Word works on your computer (leaving aside Office 365 for the moment.
So in answer to your question, you might like to consider Pixlr, an online image editor. You can create an account on Pixlr or sign in with your Google account, whichever you find most palatable. Or if it's a simple, one-off bit of editing, then you can do all you want without having to create or link an account.
If it's anything more than the most basic bit of image manipulation, I'll use Pixlr, but all I want to do is, say, add a bit of text, I might use Google Drawings (https://docs.google.com/drawings) and either save onto your Google Drive or download in whatever format I need.
GDrawings.png
Hope that helps a bit, but if not, sing out.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm not quite sure I understand what your 'workflow' is here.

Where was the image you were ctrl+c ing? Was it in a folder, as it might also be on your Chromebook? Or was it opened in an image viewer, such as Windows Photo Viewer?

One way to think about this is that Chromebooks are about accessing the web more than accessing files, so it's more about accessing web-based, rather than computer based applications e.g. Google docs works (mostly) online, whereas MS Word works on your computer (leaving aside Office 365 for the moment.
So in answer to your question, you might like to consider Pixlr, an online image editor. You can create an account on Pixlr or sign in with your Google account, whichever you find most palatable. Or if it's a simple, one-off bit of editing, then you can do all you want without having to create or link an account.
If it's anything more than the most basic bit of image manipulation, I'll use Pixlr, but all I want to do is, say, add a bit of text, I might use Google Drawings (https://docs.google.com/drawings) and either save onto your Google Drive or download in whatever format I need.
Hope that helps a bit, but if not, sing out.
Thanks a lot - really appreciate it. I've just signed up for Pixlr and it does look like the kind of thing I was after.

I'm sure I will come back to google photos at some point...I'm doubtless just missing something. I don't really have any kind of feel for this new OS yet. Old dog, new tricks, all that. It's early days, I'm sure it'll come good in time. In the meantime, thanks for Pixlr. Ctrl-V - there it is! :okay:

Top Bottom