Any cyclists with ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I was diagnosed with ME some 30 years ago. I had 8 months off work and returned only to be feeling very tired every day! Symptoms faded after another 18 months and I thought no more about it until ten years later when I had a comprehensive blood test for another suspected condition.

It turned out that I had antibodies for the Epstein~Barr virus and that's what caused my fatigue of ten years before!

gavgav

Guru
Yes I suffer from ME (am in contact with Dr Myhill, SuziRider) and have also got an electric bike. Its far better than not going out at all and all the televised cycling helps when you can't get out (TdF and La Vuelta ect on itv4) What model electric has your friend got gavgav just out of interest?
Calling @Rickshaw Phil Do you know which electric bike Nicky has got?

Hulot

I was diagnosed with ME some 30 years ago. I had 8 months off work and returned only to be feeling very tired every day! Symptoms faded after another 18 months and I thought no more about it until ten years later when I had a comprehensive blood test for another suspected condition.

It turned out that I had antibodies for the Epstein~Barr virus and that's what caused my fatigue of ten years before!

Yes apparently the Epstein Barr virus/glandular fever can kick off the ME/CFS. Glad to hear you've improved byegad Thanks for making enquiries gavgav and Rickshaw Phil. Mine is a Cyclotricity Revolver (managed to fit a throttle on it to help with the hills :smile:) Its also helped my old man (who's now 82) to carry on cycling!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I forgot to come back to the thread with the answer.:blush: Nicky has a Pro Rider E-Wayfarer. She picked it up fairly cheaply I believe and it's been doing a very good job for her so far.

It folds which is a bonus as it's then fairly easy for transport if needed.

Helenbells

I am "fat lady on an electric bike".
M.E. clobbered me in a big way, now 30 years ago. Five years bedbound and then walking sticks and still difficulty with walking.
Got an electric bike. Bliss when I am well enough to use it.
Even got a car that now fits the two electric bikes upright, so we can travel to places, have a pootle around on cycles paths or whatever and load up easily without exhausting me. I am the cyclist and appreciate the freedom and mobility. Having the electric bike means I can stop and return back to the starting place without collapsing totally.
I feel more secure in my ability to get home than if I am walking. I am certain people with M.E. recognise that anxiety!

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Have you been tested for magnesium deficiency? The symptoms are very similar to ME. Apparently this is one of the most prevalent deficiencies, and many ME sufferers find Magnesium supplementation helps them immensely.

Hulot

I know of someone who suffers badly with ME and they use an electric bike, which does them a huge amount of good. An option maybe?

Last edited:
Top Bottom