Any decent climbs in and around Sussex?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

Joe said:
...as I always follow that road before around to the left!
Aaahhh!! Millers Road! Know it well, used to be on my commute (and that was by way of a sting in the tail after having done: up the Beacon and down Carden Avenue :biggrin::ohmy: ): it can be a beast in its own right, especially when choked with traffic as it often was in my day (try the service lane round the backs of the houses on the left, but even steeper!)

Of course I was younger and less podgy in those days...:ohmy:

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Pete said:
Aaahhh!! Millers Road! Know it well, used to be on my commute (and that was by way of a sting in the tail after having done: up the Beacon and down Carden Avenue :rolleyes::ohmy: ): it can be a beast in its own right, especially when choked with traffic as it often was in my day (try the service lane round the backs of the houses on the left, but even steeper!)

Of course I was younger and less podgy in those days...:rolleyes:
That sounds like quite a commute!
I did Millers on my singlespeed mountain bike (heavy anyway, and loaded at the time) the other day. Not a nice experience! But I did drop someone who was going up in their granny gear:biggrin:
Where does the service lane start (going up)? I see where it joins, I think, but have never noticed the entrance:wacko:
Going down Millers is fun too, eh? That bend before the tunnel is always a heart in mouth moment if you've got too much speed going into it!

Pete

Joe said:
Where does the service lane start (going up)? I see where it joins, I think, but have never noticed the entrance:wacko:
I thought it peels off to the left just as you start to climb, but that was over ten years ago, the layout may have changed... must admit it's a long time since I've cycled that way (the Beacon is a bit much for me now), if I'm going into Brighton it's straight down London Road now (avoiding the cycle farcilities!), or if it's Hove I want I try my luck on Mill Road and KG6.

Going down Millers is fun too, eh? That bend before the tunnel is always a heart in mouth moment if you've got too much speed going into it!
Yep, and if you miss the turn and shoot straight on you end up in the doghouse - literally! (the PDSA place is still there, I believe?). :rolleyes::biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The service road starts immediately after the railway bridge.

I watched the Sussex Hill Climb at The Bostal at Steyning yesterday. The winning time was about 4.03m with the slowest at about 7m. I'll give a try soon to see how I'd fare. I've often thought that there should be a thread for the Beacon where we could post times for a bit of a challenge. My best is 7.05 this summer for what it's worth.

Albion Hill and Southover St are tough in the middle of town ( east from The Level/St Peters)

There's a nice route I do heading north parallel with the A23 from Poynings to Warninglid which is on very minor roads and has a constant supply of steep nips.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
rich p said:
've often thought that there should be a thread for the Beacon where we could post times for a bit of a challenge. My best is 7.05 this summer for what it's worth.

Albion Hill and Southover St are tough in the middle of town ( east from The Level/St Peters)

There's a nice route I do heading north parallel with the A23 from Poynings to Warninglid which is on very minor roads and has a constant supply of steep nips.
A Beacon time trial thread sounds ace, make it! As soon as my saddle sores are healed I will have a go. I ride it quite often and still have trouble pacing myself on it. Southover is good (pubs if you need a stop halfway too;)). I've done a bit of riding around Poynings and Fulking etc, nice small lanes without much traffic! But not all the way up to Warninglid, it's on the list. Wish I would heal quicker:angry:

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Finally back on the bike :ohmy:
Went out and rode Borstal Road (and Titch Hill) today in both directions. It was hard but satisfying, and chilly at the top!
Saw a guy pootleing up there with (I assume) fully loaded panniers on my way back down:becool:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Joe said:
Finally back on the bike :tongue:
Went out and rode Borstal Road (and Titch Hill) today in both directions. It was hard but satisfying, and chilly at the top!
Saw a guy pootleing up there with (I assume) fully loaded panniers on my way back down:becool:

Joe,I've only ever done Titch Hill down which is easier(!) but doing that and the Bostal (not Borstal!) is a good effort. Did you time the Bostal to give me something to aim at?

Zoom

Über Member
Pete said:
If you're into Audax (or not) and registered on ACF, get in touch with Martin (formerly "Zoom") over there, he organises a lot of stuff around these parts including some 'hilly's.

I'm here now :thumbsup: (can't get onto ACF at work)

Pete

Zoom said:
I'm here now :smile: (can't get onto ACF at work)
And welcome to the forum to you too, Martin! Alas, I'm not doing much cycling at the moment :smile::cry::smile:. And as you may know, I'm still de-ACF'd myself, for reasons I won't go into again :biggrin:.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
rich p said:
Joe,I've only ever done Titch Hill down which is easier(!) but doing that and the Bostal (not Borstal!) is a good effort. Did you time the Bostal to give me something to aim at?
No I didn't. I always want to time myself but halfway up I forget what the time was when I started! I guess I should use the lap function on my heart rate monitor really:blush:

blue trice

try going up boxhill,
within a few miles there is a road sign warning---
1 in 3 or 1in4 steep decent,
check the o.s map for that area.

blue trice

Top Bottom