Any decorators in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
gloss on gloss wil chip really easily and if ever you do decide to rub it down in the future it will flake and take aeons to get a decent surface to paint on. ( Just finished remedying a "quick" job of 5 years ago and really wish I'd taken more time then!!! )

mr Mag00

rising member
painting over chipped gloss will show the chips, rub down and remove all traces of paint and treat the bare wood much better in the long run.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A third vote for Satinwood; being satin rather than gloss it doesn't show imperfections. Anyway gloss is out and matt is in at the moment. Only your parents repaint in gloss.

postman

Legendary Member
As an old painter and decorator.'Get a trade lad' was the advice.Back in 1966.So i did what a fat lot of good that did.Hard work and crap pay.No do the job right in the first place and you will not have to put it right in years to come.Ther is no short cuts to decorating.If you don't like it it is a chore.But why spend a fortune on paint and brushes to do a crap job.Sand down clean off with a damp cloth.Pain the ceiling and walls first then on to the woodwork.In our day(violins and harp playing) we also had the windows to paint.Now double glazing.Take your time and try to enjoy it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
postman said:
As an old painter and decorator.'Get a trade lad' was the advice.Back in 1966.So i did what a fat lot of good that did.Hard work and crap pay.No do the job right in the first place and you will not have to put it right in years to come.Ther is no short cuts to decorating.If you don't like it it is a chore.But why spend a fortune on paint and brushes to do a crap job.Sand down clean off with a damp cloth.Pain the ceiling and walls first then on to the woodwork.In our day(violins and harp playing) we also had the windows to paint.Now double glazing.Take your time and try to enjoy it.
Agreed.

My old man was a P&D and a bloody good one too.
Do the job properly as Kirstie says and Postman describes. Proper rub-down, fill any cracks gaps, nail holes, decent undercoat and proper gloss... all the quick-cote type stuff is shite frankly if you want a decent job use proper gloss.
If you want something different, use egg-shell paint,less glossy finish, hard wearing.

Mr Pig

Best thing to do? Rip them off and fit new ones!

No, I'm not kidding. This is by far the easiest way to deal with them, you get a better result and you'll never have to touch them again.

Buy skirting the same thickness as the stuff that's on, or thicker, or you'll get a gap to the carpet. Try to pick the wood yourself or they'll give you junk.

Stain all the wood before you cut it down or fit it, much easier. Two coats of stain/varnish on the front, with a light sand between coats, and a coat on the back to stop the crap wood warping.

Take care when removing the old stuff in case it's stuck to the wall paper etc, run a knife down the back of it. Buy a mitre to get the joints right. Cutting it down and fitting the new stuff it is very easy and you'll have shiny new skirting boards that you'll never need to paint again :0)

The only tricky part is the door checks, the flat part on the inside of the door frame. It depends what they are made of. If they are made of wood or plywood you can just turn them over! Prise them off, with big flat blades like chisels for instance, sand the paint off the edges, stain the reverse and refit them nice new stain-side up.

postman

Legendary Member
Fab so was my dad.Tradesman worked for himself till old age slowed him down.So he had to get an office job as an internal postman.That wage was crap.So he had to do little jobs on the side evenings and weekends.It killed him.He was part way through a job when he had a heart attack in his sleep.I went to finish the job.Because he never let his customers down.I gave that staircase listen to this 5 COATS of paint.I had never done such a good job in my life.I told the customer if any one asked who painted the staircase tell them Colin Mee.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Personally, I'm a bodger.... if it looks OK, it'll do for me ;)
Anyone wanna buy my house :blush:

postman

Legendary Member
Well what do you know.Earlier this year we did some free decorating for someone at church.We called ourselves BODGITT and SCARPER.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
postman said:
Fab so was my dad.Tradesman worked for himself till old age slowed him down.So he had to get an office job as an internal postman.That wage was crap.So he had to do little jobs on the side evenings and weekends.It killed him.He was part way through a job when he had a heart attack in his sleep.I went to finish the job.Because he never let his customers down.I gave that staircase listen to this 5 COATS of paint.I had never done such a good job in my life.I told the customer if any one asked who painted the staircase tell them Colin Mee.

My dad was a tradesman man and boy, he loved his work and his customers loved him, I'm sure several of them found work just to have him round! He'd been doing work for them for Donkeys years.
He had a heart attack after a regular day, he'd have never retired and would have hated being unable to pootle off and see his customers. It was a very full church when he went.
He taught me the value of doing a proper job... he used to say that what he did "should not only be a thing of great beauty, but a joy for ever".

Bigtallfatbloke

..ok...well tomorrow is th ebig day...yep..the day I get to choose the colours while she is away...hmm...cant go wrong there...shes sure to love whatever I choose right?

...Ripping out the wood is not really going to happen...i'm just not talented in the DIY department..so a good bodge is about as good as I can expect from myself...besides if it lasts 5 years with any luck we will be long gone by the time it all flakes off....so I have the Joys of B&Q ahead..please pray for me.

Bigtallfatbloke

...well so far so..erm..ok...started painting...I just moved the furniture around as I went..to much hassle to cover it etc...I think it looks ...erm...well it looks ....but the thing is it's been dark mostly so i wont really know the real extent of the damage until the morning.

Top Bottom