Any decorators in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
...looks like I am about to be tasked with some home re decorating...JOY.

anyway...is there some easy way (trick/short cut) to paint the wooden door frames, skirting boards, banisters etc...you know the ones that are painted in white gloss paint and have been chipped and abused over time...yes those ones.

I can't be bothered to strip the paint down properly...my life isnt long enough...besides I've got this new Bianchi to exercise....so I just need a reasonable bodge so the MRS doesnt notice...you know th edrill...cheap, quick, effective...easy life...that kind of thing.:angel:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Run them over with a mouse sander, then it's loads of elbow grease to paint the things...I hate glossing !

gbb

Legendary Member
If you want a quick 'ok' job, dont bother cutting in the gloss and the emulsion on the walls...just do one...
I always paint the walls first...dont bother about getting emulsion on the skirts etc....just use a slightly damp cloth and run it along the skirts etc after...before the emulsion drys. Then you've only got the gloss to cut in.

Same with the ceiling...do the ceiling first, dont bother about getting the white (i assume) onto the walls. It'll get painted over anyway. Again, you only have to cut in once.

Glossing big areas (doors, bannisters etc)..i use a sponge radiator roller. Saves a mountain of time.

sloe

1) Sand offending woodwork all over by hand with 180 or 150 or 120 grade grit aluminium oxide/ silicon carbide. No need to strip, just get it looking a bit sorry all over. Hoover and wipe with a damp thing. Let dry.

2) Protect adjacent carpets with masking tape.

3) Paint with Dulux Satinwood, a most forgiving concoction.

domtyler

Über Member
1) Pick up phone.
2) Phone local Painter and decorator.
3) Grab beer from fridge and relax on the sofa. :angel:

domtyler said:
1) Pick up phone.
2) Phone local Painter and decorator.
3) Grab beer from fridge and relax on the sofa. :angel:

Lazy git! You got that pen out yer white chair yet or have not found the right page in the Yellow Pages?

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

ok...so erm...I cant just grab the paint tin and paint over the already painted glossy wooden bits without dong anything to them at all then? If I just wiped the old gloss paint down with say white spirit or something then painted another coat of gloss over it...what then...will it look like a botch job?

..could I just get some of this:
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/info/usage/satinwood.jsp
as suggested above and paint over without any preparation?...it wouldnt be so awefull would it??

gbb

Legendary Member
BigonaBianchi said:
ok...so erm...I cant just grab the paint tin and paint over the already painted glossy wooden bits without dong anything to them at all then? If I just wiped the old gloss paint down with say white spirit or something then painted another coat of gloss over it...what then...will it look like a botch job?

Yes, you certainy can.
At worst, a wipe with a damp cloth with warm soapy water.
Better, get some sugarsoap....

It wont look 100%, but it'll still look 100% better than it did.

Maz

Guru
If you cut corners you'll end up with a botch-job IME. Preparation is key...masking off areas you don't want to get paint on, sanding down etc. Don't try to rush the job as you will probably overload the brush with paint in your haste and end up with drip marks when it's dried. Do the painting in defined 'stages' (one stretch of wall at a time, for example), then you will have a known 'end-point' to work towards. That way you break the job down in to manageable chunks.

This method works for me, anyway.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

I think I am going to wipe with white spirit then paint ...sanding is just to much like hard work...as long as th epaint doesnt flake off withing 5 years or so it should get me off the hook.

gbb

Legendary Member
BigonaBianchi said:
I think I am going to wipe with white spirit then paint ...sanding is just to much like hard work...as long as th epaint doesnt flake off withing 5 years or so it should get me off the hook.

It will get you off the hook Bigon...
IF..the big if..you want a 100% job, you have to put in the preparation.
If you want a quick job that'll look ok, then what you're proposing will be fine.

It's a trade off between time available, time you want to commit, and whether you're prepared to cut a few corners and do a job that will look perfectly ok...but not as good as it could.

Top Bottom