In the dog-house....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've just had an accusation levelled at me for which I need feedback...bear with....

We have 2 Whippets we lure course with. One in particular is like Houdini and will escape and charge across the field at the slightest opportunity. It costs us a £10 fine and a walk of shame when this happens as it disturbs another pairs race.

So last weekend am in the camper with Houdini and I'm to deliver a cup of tea. Despite my best efforts Houdini slips by me and us off into the field to chase the lure.

Now fast Whippets can top 40mph and Houdini is a champ, so no slouch. Before I know it he's 100 yards from me at full tilt (reminder - that's around 40 mph folks) and apparently I'm in trouble for not chasing after him.

For the record I'm a 5'8" 95kg 59 year old with a coronary stent...exactly what was I supposed to do, die of a heart attack in a futile effort?

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
When you say, 'slips by,' was he not on a lead?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sounds similar to when my working cocker ‘slipped by’ when I was trying to get his lead on as he emerged from the crate in the car.

They can be slippy devil's....
Houdini is the same.

He'd destroy it or harm himself. Once he'd escaped there was nothing I could do! That's the point.....

Ah. When I had working Jack Russells and took them to terrier shows and races, the first thing I insisted they learn was that their crate was a very desirable place to be, so even in throes of excitement there was no question that they'd damage themselves. As mum was in a wheelchair at that point, the door had to be either open - when the dogs had to be in the crate - or closed. I simply couldn't risk having to manage both an escaped dog and someone in a wheelchair!

I've often thought it a pity there isn't something on the lines of a (safe for both humans and dogs) horizontal equivalent to a bungee jumper's rope, for use with sighthounds. And recalcitrant terriers.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Keep your dog on a lead at sporting events at all times, then he cant slip by you......so they are correct, it is your fault, as your the owner.

si_c

Guru
Rather than a collar and lead, how about a harness? It shouldn't be possible to slip that, and if you tether them to something like a ground anchor then they should be more secure.

I don't think you are at fault here, responsible yes, but you'll only be at fault if you keep letting it happen without trying something different.

Top Bottom