In the dog-house....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just had an accusation levelled at me for which I need feedback...bear with....

We have 2 Whippets we lure course with. One in particular is like Houdini and will escape and charge across the field at the slightest opportunity. It costs us a £10 fine and a walk of shame when this happens as it disturbs another pairs race.

So last weekend am in the camper with Houdini and I'm to deliver a cup of tea. Despite my best efforts Houdini slips by me and us off into the field to chase the lure.

Now fast Whippets can top 40mph and Houdini is a champ, so no slouch. Before I know it he's 100 yards from me at full tilt (reminder - that's around 40 mph folks) and apparently I'm in trouble for not chasing after him.

For the record I'm a 5'8" 95kg 59 year old with a coronary stent...exactly what was I supposed to do, die of a heart attack in a futile effort?

Your dog. You need to be in control of him. Obviously accidents do happen but if it's happening all the time - you need to look at your behaviour.

My part whippet rescue dog slipped his leash once and ran 12 miles. He's been on a harness since.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Your dog. You need to be in control of him. Obviously accidents do happen but if it's happening all the time - you need to look at your behaviour.

My part whippet rescue dog slipped his leash once and ran 12 miles. He's been on a harness since.

Yes of course. Just when you think you have it cracked - he finds a new escape route, he's small, slippy, and fast as buggery. On that occasion it was just me in charge, last weekend there was two of us and he was far more manageable and no escapes. You have to admire his tenacity and dedication to the lure...

Generally he's reasonably good for a sighthound and walked off-lead where it's sensible to do so (plus he has a tracker), but goes utterly mental when he realises he's in the Lure Coursing field. So belt and braces going forward....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Rather than a collar and lead, how about a harness? It shouldn't be possible to slip that, and if you tether them to something like a ground anchor then they should be more secure.

I don't think you are at fault here, responsible yes, but you'll only be at fault if you keep letting it happen without trying something different.

This will be one of our many solutions....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Or maybe just not take him there ? I'm not familiar with this sport ? It's not cruel is it ?

Oh, not at all cruel in any way!

We call it bag-chasing, as the lure is a ripped-up fertiliser bag on the end of a very long fine rope which is run around a set of pulleys set-out in a field to represent the darting movements of a hare. A variable speed motor pulls the cable.
2 dogs compete at a time and are either released by the owner as the lure passes by them or properly 'slipped' by a Slipper (released from a special harness). They then run like bats out of hell to catch the lure. The winner is determined by a judge on a platform in the middle of the course based on which dog most naturally follows the lure. This of course is often open to interpretation, but c'est la vie. No money's involved except for the raffle! Max 3 runs if you make the final over the course of a 9 to 5 event.
The dogs are pets, some are bred more for coursing, others for showing. The dogs love it, they get to do what comes naturally in a safe environment. It's wholesome friendly fun in fields in fabulous locations.
Some events run other sighthounds such as Afghans, Salukis, Magyars, Italian Greyhounds etc.

1665656540295.png

Last edited:

Perhaps worth noting the disruption caused by Houdini in this incident:
He didn't run across the M5.
Or through a flock of sheep
Or a minefield*
Or a procession of partially-sighted war veterans.

He ran into this, resulting in a £10 fine from the officials:
"
We call it bag-chasing, as the lure is a ripped-up fertiliser bag on the end of a very long fine rope which is run around a set of pulleys set-out in a field to represent the darting movements of a hare. A variable speed motor pulls the cable.
2 dogs compete at a time and are either released as the lure passes by them by the owners or a properly 'slipped' by a slipper (released from a special harness). They then run like bats out of hell to catch the lure. The winner is determined by a judge on a platform in the middle of the course based on which dog most naturally follows the lure. This of course is often open to interpretation, but c'est la vie. No money's involved except for the raffle! Max 3 runs if you make the final over the course of a 9 to 5 event.
The dogs are pets, some are bred more for coursing, others for showing. The dogs love it, they get to do what comes naturally in a safe environment. It's wholesome friendly fun in fields in fabulous locations.
Some events run other sighthounds such as Afghans, Salukis, Magyars, Italian Greyhounds etc.

1665656540295-png.png

"

*actually, similar to posting like this in Cyclechat, but that aside ...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My wildlife pal was invited to meet up with a “ celebrity” for the tv prog “Walking My Dog” and to bring his dogs with him.
His spaniel as he put it had an “attitude problem” with other dogs so he tied both his dogs together with a bit of rope and stepped out to meet celeb.
His knot was not very good and slipped letting the spaniel go free. It immediately set about the celeb’s terrier and much swearing, struggling and bloodshed ensued. All this was caught on camera but unfortunately ( or not) never broadcast.
The resultant broadcast was very fraught and cut short.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Lots of training required methinks.
My Tara is a Staffy/Jack Russel cross and as stubborn as can be. She's never been vicious but when she was younger and off the lead she'd tear across a field etc to go say hi to anyone and anything. One lady was so traumatised by the sight of Tara racing up to her that she stood frozen screaming like an extra from Alien.
After that, mutley and I went to a trainer. His method was to train the owner, not the dog. The dog will do whatever the hell it wants but if the owner dominates the doggy and doggy realises that the owner is the boss, problem solved.
Basically, get a choke lead. Walk with Houdini and keep him beside you. Not in front. Ever. Soon as Houdini starts to pull away from you, a quick sharp tug on the lead will get him back in line. The aim is not to harm Houdini but give the lead a sharp enough tug so that he knows you mean business. Don't give him an inch of leeway. It takes a while and isn't the answer to every problem but soon enough Houdini will realise that you're the king pin and not to cross you.
It doesn't always work granted, but compared to how she used to be, 7-8 times out of 10, if Tara starts to eye up a potential licking victim and I say "No" she'll obey me.
My stepmum doesn't like the idea of a choke lead and a fair few folk say it's a cruel way of walking her, but if she's behaving, it generally just hangs round her neck loosely. Nothing cruel about that. Some may question the domineering aspect, but, most people have a boss who they answer to. Yet they can still be friends with that boss. Same principal.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I used to work with a lady who had a big male lurcher by the name of Harry. She used to bring him into the office and he'd usually chill out under a desk or just stare at you for a bit. She had to be very careful with him around other animals, especially cats, as he had a strong prey drive. The local area was quite rural (just south of Andover) so there was plenty of potential prey around in the form of rabbits and deer.

I asked her how she'd catch him if he did take off after something. She just looked exasperated and replied, "Helicopter?"

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Lots of training required methinks.
My Tara is a Staffy/Jack Russel cross and as stubborn as can be. She's never been vicious but when she was younger and off the lead she'd tear across a field etc to go say hi to anyone and anything. One lady was so traumatised by the sight of Tara racing up to her that she stood frozen screaming like an extra from Alien.
After that, mutley and I went to a trainer. His method was to train the owner, not the dog. The dog will do whatever the hell it wants but if the owner dominates the doggy and doggy realises that the owner is the boss, problem solved.
Basically, get a choke lead. Walk with Houdini and keep him beside you. Not in front. Ever. Soon as Houdini starts to pull away from you, a quick sharp tug on the lead will get him back in line. The aim is not to harm Houdini but give the lead a sharp enough tug so that he knows you mean business. Don't give him an inch of leeway. It takes a while and isn't the answer to every problem but soon enough Houdini will realise that you're the king pin and not to cross you.
It doesn't always work granted, but compared to how she used to be, 7-8 times out of 10, if Tara starts to eye up a potential licking victim and I say "No" she'll obey me.
My stepmum doesn't like the idea of a choke lead and a fair few folk say it's a cruel way of walking her, but if she's behaving, it generally just hangs round her neck loosely. Nothing cruel about that. Some may question the domineering aspect, but, most people have a boss who they answer to. Yet they can still be friends with that boss. Same principal.

Houdini is a sweet as anything on the lead, no problem out and about. It's only when we go Lure Coursing - he's so damned excited to get out there he's almost unstoppable!
As soon as the Lure machine stops, he's calm as you like....

They're just mad for the bag!

Top Bottom