In the dog-house....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
He escaped his lead the previous week! Now we double lead/collar him outside the van. But no, he was in the camper and despite an extra dog-gate it's hard to squeeze out with a flask of tea, manipulate the gate/van door and physically restrain houdini without 3 hands....

Ultimately he's your responsibility.

Our poodle could be a bit lively on a collar and lead then we got her measured for a perfect fit harness, Mrs Stephec was amazed at how she suddenly seemed to calm down, as I said to her, 'it's the feeling of being properly restrained, makes her more obedient.' 😊

IMG_20220917_075557.jpg

@Fab Foodie you have take this one. To the organiser and other participants a race has been disrupted. If the rules allow for a mitigating reason and there are cases where less compelling reasons were accepted then you have precedence behind you.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie you have take this one. To the organiser and other participants a race has been disrupted. If the rules allow for a mitigating reason and there are cases where less compelling reasons were accepted then you have precedence behind you.

Oh, don't get me wrong, happy to cough-up, that's not the issue, it's was the bollocking about not running after him to catch him!

DRM

Guru
At least he didn’t do what a neighbours whippet did when I was a lad, he made a bid for freedom, then got the scent of something, it was another neighbours roasted chicken for Sunday lunch, he got in, stole the chicken and was away over the fields with his swag before anyone twigged what the furry thief had done, that should have warranted a fine!

When I was a child, we got a Scottish Terrier pup. At the time, frozen cream cakes had just come onto the market and were considered a luxury item and quite expensive.

Relatives were coming to tea and my mum took the frozen cake out of the (tiny!) freezer (we were the first 'ordinary' people in the village to have a freezer, after the butcher and the fishmonger) and placed it on a plate in the middle of the dining room table to thaw out. Dougal was still a tiny puppy and all the chairs were tucked well under the table so there was no way up for him. Heck he was so small that he had to be lifted onto the old armchair that was his designated 'bed' in the scullery.

Well you can guess what happened. After working in the kitchen for a few hours, baking, cutting sandwiches etc, mum went into the dining room to be greeted with the remains of cream cake spread over the table. She stepped into the scullery, and saw Dougal sitting innocently in front of his bed, waiting to be lifted up onto it. He turned to look at her, with his black beard and eyebrows thickly smeared with snow-white cream!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Rather than a collar and lead, how about a harness? It shouldn't be possible to slip that, and if you tether them to something like a ground anchor then they should be more secure.

For additional comedy value (or just lazyness), use a bungee cord instead of a rope tether so when Houdini makes a run for it the bungee reaches maximum stretch and *boing* he rebounds back to you.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Oh, don't get me wrong, happy to cough-up, that's not the issue, it's was the bollocking about not running after him to catch him!
So would the organisers have bollocked someone who was (say) in a wheelchair, or would they have given you less of a bollocking, if you had jogged after your mutt?
Perhaps next time it happens remind them outward physical appearances can be deceptive.

When I was a child, we got a Scottish Terrier pup. At the time, frozen cream cakes had just come onto the market and were considered a luxury item and quite expensive.

Relatives were coming to tea and my mum took the frozen cake out of the (tiny!) freezer (we were the first 'ordinary' people in the village to have a freezer, after the butcher and the fishmonger) and placed it on a plate in the middle of the dining room table to thaw out. Dougal was still a tiny puppy and all the chairs were tucked well under the table so there was no way up for him. Heck he was so small that he had to be lifted onto the old armchair that was his designated 'bed' in the scullery.

Well you can guess what happened. After working in the kitchen for a few hours, baking, cutting sandwiches etc, mum went into the dining room to be greeted with the remains of cream cake spread over the table. She stepped into the scullery, and saw Dougal sitting innocently in front of his bed, waiting to be lifted up onto it. He turned to look at her, with his black beard and eyebrows thickly smeared with snow-white cream!

We have a rescue Greyhound. She is tall enough to see what is on the dining table. The other day I cut a slice off the pizza and put it on my plate then turned around to do something. When I turned back my pizza slice was gone!

DRM

Guru
What I can’t get my head round is, an event is organised for sight hounds with a high prey drive to chase after a zigzagging sack, the organisers then get upset because one dog that loves the chase joins in the chase, doing what comes naturally, most peculiar :scratch:

Top Bottom