Any 'vintage' Mac experts in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
The situation is this:

I have a PowerBook Pro from AD 2008.

It has served me well over the years and is still going strong, albeit slightly more slowly these days given its positively ancient status when it comes to these things.

Everything works as it should and I've had no problems until now...

I need to change something which requires an admin password, not normally a problem as I use variations on a theme of 4. Apparently not on this machine, and I've helpfully left myself the clue "Soapy!!", which means absolutely nothing to me.

I've tried booting in Recovery mode, but it just goes straight to the loading screen. I've consulted all the Mac forums, tried all the proferred suggestions and none of those are working.

So I'm hoping that my niche problem might be solved by someone with similarly niche knowledge on this forum.

Thoughts and terrible puns welcomed and encouraged.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Imperial Leather

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
I've played myself here by not saying I'd actually like to get into Recovery Mode because I can take things from there.

None of the cleaner based options have worked.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
I've worked out what "Soapy!!" refers to! But it could be many, many things around the topic. My ex wife as it happens, but when I set it we were happy so it won't be anything cruel!

netman

Veteran
Are you running post MacOS 10.7? Recovery Mode was introduced in 10.7. if your boot drive doesn't have 10.7 or later installed there will be no Recovery HD partition, and you'll need a Bootable DVD or a bootable Thumb drive to proceed.
If you are post 10.7, it's possible your keyboard input of the option key at boot is not being picked up - try plugging the keyboard into a different USB port...

Top Bottom