Any dog owners as desperately need help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coco69

Veteran
We had a small pomeranian which had to be put too sleep last night suddenly and the family is heartbroken.
I need help....do i buy another one asap...if so do i just turn up as a surprise or should i wait and get family involvement.....the breed i have been looking for is a chug.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above..great advice

I would ask the family but without knowing your family or good self, I'd leave that decision to you.

what I would say is that our local rehoming centre are always happy to let responsible owners walk the dogs they have.

it may help, it may not but I wish you well.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I/we haven't had a pooch for a while, however it is planned & planned being the operative word.

While it is sad news your loss of friend & companion, I would possibly research the breed & breeders as I have been doing.
Get to know & visit the breed & breeder & know of that breeds inherent/common health issues & life expectancy etc. This way at least you know what to expect.

I am not wording this well but, what I am trying to say is, don't follow this loss with another a few short years down the line if possible.

Best of luck.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I lost my Rosie to cancer last week and want another dog as soon as possible. I hate not having one. The house is so quiet and empty and I haven't been without a dog in the house for the last 22years. We have talked as a family and all agree that we want another dog. We've decided on a breed and have already started looking.

Talk to the family about getting another rather than surprise them with a new dog.

I dunno, everyone is different. I'd talk it through carefully if it were me.

However, just a word of caution...

A chug is not a recognised breed. It is a mutt i.e. crossbreed between a pug and a chihuahua.

Please do not encourage unscrupulous breeders to continue breeding these "fashionable" dogs like this by buying from them. Their sole objective is to make money - welfare of the dogs is optional, which leads to its own can of worms. More often these dogs will end up in rescue because of health and temperament issues.

If you do want another dog, then I would strongly advise going to a reputable rescue. The dog you choose will have been temperament tested, health checked, vaccinated, neutered, flead and wormed. It is well worth paying the adoption fee simply for peace of mind - and it will be a far smaller monetary outlay than buying aforementioned chug.

gbb

Legendary Member
Personally, I would never get a dog from a commercial breeder. Rehoming is the way to go in my book...
I've often visited rehoming establishments but been uneasy about what it is you're getting, particually temperament wise.
My chocolate lab came from a private breeder ie a family who's lab had pups but there's no way of knowing how often they're doing it, what the father is like etc etc. We ended up with THE most gorgeous dog for temprament but he now has bad hips which is a common problem from poor or over breeding.
Next time...I'm going to really investigate the re-homing route. You still can't be 100% but at least the dog would hopefully get a good check over and you'd be forewarned of potential problems.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Dont buy a dog without getting the family involved. You may be ready, but they may be not. The may even be ready. But not for the dog you choose.

Sandra6

Veteran
So sorry to hear your sad news, but I think the decision to get another dog needs to be a joint one.
I would also urge you to reconsider the chug choice, as these dogs are prone to health problems.
While rehoming a rescue dog is admirable, and I have friends who have done this and have lovely animals as a result, I think when children are involved it's important to get a puppy that will grow up with them.

OP
OP
coco69

coco69

Veteran
Thankyou all for responding with some great advice as i really am lost on this one.
i think i will leave it for next few days then start to get the feeling how we all feel about getting another one.....ive never bought a dog in my life i just know my wife would only have a small one...regarding rescue dogs where do i start as the only one that springs to mind is leigh cats and dogs however i dont mind travelling

Flyboy

We had a pair of Jack Russells for 17.5 years , when they passed away we where both so upset that we couldn't bring ourselves to even go and look at other dogs. We unfortunately left it 8 years , in that time we did very little walking etc etc . We now have a Border Terrier bitch(Ruby) and would recommend one to anybody,brilliant small dog. Very intelligent .

Lee_M

Guru
depends where you are in the north west but there are lots of rescues around. i got my dog from north clwyd rescue which is near prestatyn, but there are also rescues in manchester and liverpool.
i lost my dog about 2 years ago and didnt get my next for about 9 months. if you get one straight away you will struggle because it will behave differently from your previous family member and that is unfair on the new dog. Having a break allows you to see it as a new family member and not as a replacement.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thankyou all for responding with some great advice as i really am lost on this one.
i think i will leave it for next few days then start to get the feeling how we all feel about getting another one.....ive never bought a dog in my life i just know my wife would only have a small one...regarding rescue dogs where do i start as the only one that springs to mind is leigh cats and dogs however i dont mind travelling
Dogs Trust Merseyside?

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/our-centres/merseyside/

Top Bottom