Any electricians on the forum ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have a problem with one of my machines .
Its a twin head tenoner both running on separate motors . Made by sedgwick and has a 16amp supply .
One of my motors failed to start but the second in line fired up . The first fired up when I pushed the bus bar in with a stick so I have fitted a new d o l starter unit . I was advised by someone of what I needed and its the same rating as the started that was replaced on my planer with a massive start up load . That person is now not available and I need to get the machine working .
With the new unit fitted and wired by myself :eek: the second motor fires up but the first doesn't . There is a connection to the bus bar when I press the start button and the capacitor makes a buzzing noise but the motor doesn't fire up .
I think I may have the wires in the wrong ports to that motor but if that was the case wouldn't the capacitor be silent ?
HELP PLEASE :cry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go and ask on DIYnot.com

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Sounds more like the motor may be fritzed if the capacitor is buzzing (I take it that it is a single phase machine)
Yes single phase . Ive had the motor firing up so I'm sure its my wiring that's wrong . Problem is I'm copying old to new so it's not 100% the same .

subaqua

What’s the point
sounds like a single phase induction motor with a capacitor start to create the phase angle required to get rotation going.

getting the winding the wrong way round WILL change the electromagnetic field and cause it to fail to start.

where in London are you ?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Thanks , sorted it now . I had swapped the wires over like for like but one of them wasn't in line on the new starter . It was the only thing I hadn't tried as I didn't want to melt the windings but lots of looking made me think its the only thing it could be .
I think I may upgrade the other starter while the wiring of the machine is still fresh in my mind . Then again if it aint broke don't fix it !

Top Bottom