Any Frog Experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not an expert but don't they hibernate through winter so will have made their 'retreats' by now.

I could be wrong but any lying at the bottom of the pond will be ex-frogs cos AFAIK they don't breathe underwater.

Levo-Lon

Guru
At spawning time I have a huge amount of frogs in the pond.
The other year the pond died over winter as it just froze and the gases killed everything.
When I cleaned it out I found 2 dead frogs ..

2 years later all the newts and frogs are in abundance, so I deduced they most likely hide in soil and decaying stuff, under sheds etc for winter and maybe just use the pond when they want.

I' do the pond in March April myself after the frosts but I'd think now will be fine.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
[QUOTE 5041332, member: 9609"]I have a garden pond to dig out and redo, I am thinking this could be the best time of year to do it for creating as little disturbance to all the wildlife that uses it. However I'm expecting to find a lot of frogs.

I'm suspecting there will be many just lying in the mud at the bottom, for these I was just going to drop then in the other pond (we have two garden ponds)

However I am also expecting to find many hiding under boulders and semi buried in the soil etc - should I also just drop these in the water of the other pond or should I try and create some sort of shelter they can hide under? if so what? if I just leave them next to the other pond will they be too sleepy lethargic to find somewhere new for the winter.

Any thoughts ?[/QUOTE]
Yes, I'm fluent in French.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'd think that the ones you disturb will wake up and you could gently transfer them to a pile of rocks, wood pile, etc. near the other pond.

I ended up having to completely renew my pond liner a month or so ago. There was only one frog that I had to keep fishing out as it drained and I popped him in a bucket containing sort of the silt & water until I could put it back in. Though he wasn't in the bucket when I emptied it! Must've hopped out. I've seen him since.

I suspect that like other hibernating creatures in the UK, frogs will wake up on warmer days so you probably won't do them much harm.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5085884, member: 9609"]Finally got a start, I made a place for them out of rotten wood covered in earth then rubble, from what I read I think it will be a des res for a frog.
View attachment 387813

Got the little pond emptied, probably about a dozen frogs at the bottom of the water in the mud, they were very much wake and I just dropped them into the big pond where they immediately swam down to the bottom. It would be really interesting to know if these ones leave the big pond in early spring and make their way back to their own pond - they are programmed to return to where they were born.
I probably found another 20+ frogs hidden/burried under rocks around the pond, they soon woke up and seemed keen to get into their new place.

This is the small pond that I am going to redo - get rid of that horrible wall. So no turning back now the liner is out
View attachment 387815
View attachment 387816 [/QUOTE]
Glad to hear it's going OK. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom