any good training rides around leeds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lork

Looking for something similar to richmond park, that's where I went before but I haven't done anything for half a year or so. preferably only 2 hours from start to finish but I'm not that picky

lukesdad

when I was up there for a bit I headed out towards Otley I think it was nice riding out there I thought.

OP
OP
L

Lork

lukesdad said:
when I was up there for a bit I headed out towards Otley I think it was nice riding out there I thought.

ah right. what route did you take and how challenging was it?

lukesdad

Lork said:
ah right. what route did you take and how challenging was it?

Cant remember exact route, sorry. But I also headed out to tadcaster that was good and some good off raoding round where they film Emmerdale.

OP
OP
L

Lork

hmm, well from google maps I can only see 2 routes up there, did you go on the busy road or otley old road - which I think is quieter?

addictfreak said:
Or you could use:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx

To plan your own, set your own distance and pick whether you want flat or hills

ah thanks, how do you use it though? I dont understand it!

Scroll up to the area you want. Use the zoom feature, this will show more roads in detail. Put the cursor where you want to start and click, it will show a little ballon. Then simply quick on point along your chosen route. You can can go to the summary tab to check distance and ascent/descent and return to map to carry on.
You can also have ordinary road map, satalite or if you click the cycle button it will show contours etc to give you a better idea of the terrain.
Best thing is to have a bit play first, you can delete mistakes by clicking 'delete last' or you can start a fresh by clicking 'new route'

Its easy when you get started

OP
OP
L

Lork

alright, I haven't used it before so how difficult would you rate this course based on it's graph?

http://i46.tinypic.com/119nehs.png

ASC1951

Guru
I have several regular routes of 1.5 to 2.5 hours, depending on the weather and which bike I'm on. The only area where you can't fairly easily get out into good riding is the 6 to 9 quadrant.

Whereabouts in Leeds are you, Lork? What sort of distance and lumpiness do you want?

OP
OP
L

Lork

oh sorry mate thought it'd save the numbers too... I think it was 13 along the bottom and 230 on the y axxis

ASC1951 said:
I have several regular routes of 1.5 to 2.5 hours, depending on the weather and which bike I'm on. The only area where you can't fairly easily get out into good riding is the 6 to 9 quadrant.

Whereabouts in Leeds are you, Lork? What sort of distance and lumpiness do you want?

Err just north of hyde park pub, 5 mins walk I think? Not sure what lumpiness, all I can compare what I want to is richmond park if you know that? I guess, I dunno really, average? for now at least!

ASC1951

Guru
Lork said:
Err just north of hyde park pub,....I guess, I dunno really, average? for now at least!
OK, here is one of my standard ones.

Out along Otley Road, past ring road, left up Otley Old Road, left again past None Go By farm, left along the Chevin, left at the far end (the first road down into Otley has a very bad surface), right along A6038 into Otley, A659 to Arthington, up either the first or second climbs over Harewood Bank, back road through Adel and Weetwood back to Headingley.

This is a nice circuit either way round and those bits of A road are very quiet.

Other favourite rides are along Wike ridge to Bramham and back, or to Sherburn.

First step, Lork, is to get yourself the 1:50,000 OS map then just set off with it. You will soon pick up the local terrain, in a way that you can't do by planning routes from an online mapping site. The main arterial roads out of Leeds to the north are A650 up the Aire valley (always busy with commuting traffic), the A65 to Ilkley (not as busy but faster), the A61 to Harrogate (busy and faster still), the A58 to Wetherby (about the same) and the A64 to York (heavy, fast traffic). I have a fairly high tolerance for traffic and am happy to ride all these A roads outside rush hour, apart from the A64 which is generally hideous and has a poor surface. All the roads between these main roads are ok for me.

You will see from the OS map that there is a big ridge to the north of Leeds running from Otley to Wetherby. If you want some flatter rides to start with, head SE down the Aire through Swillington towards Castleford; or the east side of Leeds generally, from Castleford up to Tadcaster.

The north side of Leeds is one of the best places as a cycling base that I have ever lived, with a huge variety of rides.

Top Bottom