Any good.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only one of my horses I can remember from the office sweepstake is 'Silver Birch' with me backing him he probably never made it out of the gate.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i put £2 each way on Cerium (or whatever it was called) and it came in fifth! missed out by a place at 300-1. gutted.

my 7 others... 7th, 13th, 15th or fell

buggi

Bird Saviour
HLaB said:
The only one of my horses I can remember from the office sweepstake is 'Silver Birch' with me backing him he probably never made it out of the gate.

fell at the 23rd fence i think. i backed him too

dav1d

buggi said:
i put £2 each way on Cerium (or whatever it was called) and it came in fifth! missed out by a place at 300-1. gutted.

my 7 others... 7th, 13th, 15th or fell

A lot of bookies (if not all) are paying out for a fifth place - are you sure yours isn't?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
My son is usually a lucky little bugger and he won last year (when i backed mon Mome) so he chose Himalayan Trail and I put £1 to win on for him and I stuck a fiver on... it fell at the 1st! Still bitter at Mon Mome for last year I ignored it and put a few quid on Black Apalachi... div fell off when he was out in front on his own!

puddleglum

I was convinced Cornish Sett was going to be in the first three. Right age and weight, and runs the distance. He came in, but last.
Unfortunately 'Hear the Echo' collapsed and died. Probably a heart attack.:smile:
I used to follow the racing avidly, and then get really upset when the horses died, although I rarely put a bet on. I don't know how, but I got over it, and generally now ignore the 'sport'.
Go Ballistic was a real horse, and was quite successful overall, but retired several years ago, AFAIK.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Bad luck Catherine. I reckon he owes you big time. Dinner at Michelin starred restaurant?

I got a pizza!!!

dav1d

buggi said:
i dunno!!!! :wacko: i better check!

Sorry, there's not as many bookies as I thought paying out a fifth place. What bookies did you use?Tote shops were paying out 5th, but William Hill only 4th I think.

buggi

Bird Saviour
dav1d said:
Sorry, there's not as many bookies as I thought paying out a fifth place. What bookies did you use?Tote shops were paying out 5th, but William Hill only 4th I think.

william hill :evil: i checked their website and it only listed 4th place. also, left the ticket at my mum's so it probably buried at the bottom of the bin covered in beans by now

Arch

Married to Night Train
domd1979 said:
At least one, though its difficult to tell because the news coverage tries to conveniently sweep this aspect of horse racing under the carpet.

Well, except for the fact that the collapse of two horses (one of whom died, and the other recovered having been given oxygen) was reported as soon as it happened on the BBC coverage.

I was thinking about this though and it occured to me that race horses are simply bred to run, just as cows, sheep, chicken and pigs are bred to be eaten. If they die, that's just part of the deal....

They certainly get a better life than some farm animals....

I don't bet but I usually pick one just before the off. I chose Ollie McGern, because of my nephew Oli, and because I once worked for someone called McGurn.

It fell at the second....

Top Bottom