Any hydraulic oil experts around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So my log splitter blew a seal yesterday and squirted half of its oil over the floor. According to the manual I need to use something akin to Shell Tellus 22, however, 32s seem more readily available than 22s and I have read that a 32 would be ok. Anybody know if it would be or am I likely to cause some sort of news worthy catastrophe if I chucked a different grade of oil in there?

I know it's a long shot and incredibly boring too, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
If it was my machine id change all the oil..and just google mixing the 2..so you dont wreck seals.
ie dot5 no good and with 4 or 5.1.. i suspect its jack oil same as a car jack

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If it was my machine id change all the oil..and just google mixing the 2..so you dont wreck seals.
ie dot5 no good and with 4 or 5.1.. i suspect its jack oil same as a car jack
Sorry, I wasn't clear on that, yes lots squirted out however it's totally emptied now ready to be filled with new stuff :smile:

Is it electric pump on the splitter or just a hand pump?
If it's a hand pump it will still work, just be a bit harder to pump. Electric will increase motor loading and may have it trip. Or it might not.
Having been handling Hyspin 32 and Hyspin 68 today there is a difference, but there won't be so much between 32/22.
There will be equivalent oils available from other companies too, theres quite often a list of compatible ones in manuals.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Is it electric pump on the splitter or just a hand pump?
If it's a hand pump it will still work, just be a bit harder to pump. Electric will increase motor loading and may have it trip. Or it might not.
Having been handling Hyspin 32 and Hyspin 68 today there is a difference, but there won't be so much between 32/22.
There will be equivalent oils available from other companies too, theres quite often a list of compatible ones in manuals.
It's electric, I can get the 22 it's just the 32 seems to be more readily available in my local hydraulic oil shop. However if the 32 is likely to damage it as its thicker I'll stick with the 22 as recommended in the manual.

classic33

Leg End Member
Any MachineMart nearby?

You'll need another set of seals to hand, with it being thicker.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Any MachineMart nearby?

You'll need another set of seals to hand, with it being thicker.
Not near by no, there's not an awful lot near by generally. Seals will be replaced anyway as it was one of those that blew causing the issue in the first place :sad:

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If using a heavier oil, you'll put more pressure on the seals than they were made for.
Well it's sounding like the best bet is to stick with the 22, so I'll be doing that by the looks of it. Mind I did see something whilst doing a little search about using particular grades of engine oil as hydraulic oil substitutes.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well it's sounding like the best bet is to stick with the 22, so I'll be doing that by the looks of it. Mind I did see something whilst doing a little search about using particular grades of engine oil as hydraulic oil substitutes.

i think you would need a mineral oil tho.. which will be a 20 /50 or similar

classic33

Leg End Member
Cleaning agents in engine oil can split, causing corrosion.

Times like this I'm glad I only ever needed elbow grease

You don't say what make of log splitter though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom