Any ideas on this one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
Hi . I have had this a while and it was hand painted so thought there might be clues under the paint. Sadly not so. All the gear on it is quite high quality either Shimano or Campagnola. I feel certain its 70's, from the bar tape, tyres etc. 6 Speed, 2 chainwheels. Any thoughts please as then that will help me make decisions as to the level of restoration.

Attachments

• P1010485.JPG
    P1010485.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010486.JPG
    P1010486.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010487.JPG
    P1010487.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010488.JPG
    P1010488.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010489.JPG
    P1010489.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010490.JPG
    P1010490.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010491.JPG
    P1010491.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010492.JPG
    P1010492.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 9

midlife

Guru
Under bb guides, seat stay style, Allen key brakes, rear brake bridge, puts it more into the 80's or later. Looks Italian, does it have an Italian bb shell?

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Under bb guides, seat stay style, Allen key brakes, rear brake bridge, puts it more into the 80's or later. Looks Italian, does it have an Italian bb shell?
Yes, Campag BB shell which fitted with the rest. I was thinking Italian, but did not want to sway what people might think. Thats interesting tht you think more 80's. I was just riding hybrids then and took no notice of racers.

midlife

Guru
Best thing is to measure the shell. 70 mm long and its Italian, 68 mm and its UK.

Brazed on front mech, seat stay bridge style and later Cinelli style fork crown style is later than the 70's usually

midlife

Guru
If you are building it up you will also need to measure the distance between the rear dropouts (OLD) to get the right wheels without having to alter the frame.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
If you are building it up you will also need to measure the distance between the rear dropouts (OLD) to get the right wheels without having to alter the frame.
Got wheels and I must double check what the bars are.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The forks put it around late 80's - I have a similar forked columbus framed bike. Any rifling on the inside of the frame tubes near the bottom bracket, and inside the fork steerer ?

carpenter

Über Member
Been said already, but my first thought was Italian - could be a stunner if given a good powder coat (no need to worry about lug detail being obscured as they are beautifully simple).
Would seat tube diameter and weight of frame give a clue about tubing?

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Measuring across the bottom bracket and its 68mm. I had not thought to say, but wheels are Campag hubs and Mavic rims with a Sach 7 speed not 6 as I said earlier. No rifling on any tube ! Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Top Bottom