Any Info on this peugeot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

Was looking at a carlton criterium I'm thinking on buying came across this peugeot any info appretiated

Attachments

• 20180813_184555.jpg
    20180813_184555.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20180813_184610.jpg
    20180813_184610.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 99

Drago

Legendary Member
No info I'm afraid, but the frame construction looks very interesting.

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

Different league to the Criterium, this is an aluminium bonded frame like an Alan or a Vitus 979. PX10DU?

I know the criterium isn't of the highest spec in its range but I love the aesthetics of the bike

What are you meaning by different league is it something I should look into restoring aswell
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

Some more photos

Attachments

• 20180813_184610.jpg
    20180813_184610.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20180813_183423.jpg
    20180813_183423.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20180813_184623.jpg
    20180813_184623.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180813_184617.jpg
    20180813_184617.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

I'd snap the sellers fingers off at the shoulder. Cleaned up that's make a fascinating and rare period piece.

Yea I'm looking at the links
And polished up is certainly a stunning peice I'd like to get the original pic of the bike on release
Thanks for replys by the way
Been alot of help

midlife

Guru
Peugeot Comete (not the Cosmic , I got the cable guides on the wrong side)

file.jpg

Attachments

• F214_55cm_Peugeot_Cosmic_Vintage_Aluminium_Race_Frame_10.jpg
    F214_55cm_Peugeot_Cosmic_Vintage_Aluminium_Race_Frame_10.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

midlife

Guru
All recalled and destroyed apparently... .

They used what's called the "Pechiney" method, derived from the FrenchAerospace industry, to assemble those Peugeot Comete and Galaxie framesets. IIRC, I think it was actually a dry/mechanical process that actually did not use any glues but pressure form fitted the frame tubes into "keyed" sockets on the lugs instead, Think of maybe something similar to a swaged crank arm on a crankset..... So by definition, it's not a bonded frame.....
After hearing of a few cases of them starting to fail on some owners in the late 80's. Peugeot played it careful by recalling all the Galaxie and Comete bikes they sold world-wide. The dealerships replaced them with equivalent steel bikes to cover warranties and they were ordered to destroy all the Cometes and Galaxies they collected.... But like most recalls, some owners never received or heard of the recall notices and I suspect some dealers also let their employees take the bikes home.....so they still survive out there and pop up once in a while for sale.
Are they safe to ride? I suspect for most situations they could be, as long as they were not abused, as you see some of these for sale that have obviously been ridden a lot and not gently in some cases, judging from the extensive cosmetic wear on the frames and are still in one piece, but as usual, for recalled items, you will still be taking a personal risk with them as Peugeot officially condemned the bikes as unsafe.

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

Thankyou for the information ive been trolling ghe net myself and
Yes now I'm stuck in a conundrum ?
Do I get the bike And polish it up and give it a lease of life and use it for recovery coffee runs ( I'm 70kg so hopefully it should hold me )
Or do I restore it and hang it up !!
I'm not sure possessing a bike thats hard to find because it was recalled and scrapped is a good or bad thing!

Not all recalled, somewhere in Belgium someone is riding one I sold almost a decade ago:smile:

The Comete was “interesting”. Light and lots of fun uphill and on rolling terrain, it was very whippy downhill :ohmy:. Héliomatic hub was a classically French piece of engineering: great idea, poor execution. The Sachs aris indexed gears were fine but the weinmann brakes were not so good. I have seen one or two for sale over the years but have not been tempted:laugh:. However, if you are around 70kg and run sensible 23 cm tyres at sensible pressures it will be fine.

On the recall, my understanding was that this was US only and a consequence of Peugeot leaving the US market and not wanting to risk any lawsuits. As far as I am aware no one died^_^

Top Bottom