Any joinery people here? I need some MDF help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Here's the problem. I'm trying to find a sheet of 18mm Deep Router Grade MDF in London. Deep Router Grade has a more dense core than standard MDF, typically weighing about 760kg per cubic metre rather than the standard 600 to 650 kg stuff. It means that you end up with a cleaner router cut if you go deep into the board. Medite, Kronospan and Caberwood make it but I have yet to find a London stockist. Does anybody know where I might be able to find some?

Thank you.

classic33

Leg End Member

Try Selco, Martin. They supply Caberwood 'Pro' stuff which is the non-fluffy version of MDF. Not sure about your nearest, but a Google should do. (They also do that yummy flexible stuff...gone are the days of kerfing!)
Of course, this thread is useless without pictures (of what you make! :smile:)

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Remember your mask, the dust is carcinogenic.
I've got a self powered positive pressure respirator. It's a pain to wear because it cuts down visibility but the polycarbonate visor offers some eye protection. That's quite handy if a 75mm cutter decides to part company with the collet at 8000 rpm.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Look for some MR MDF ( moisture resistant ) It machines better than other MDF ( its green ) . Alsfords in Cobham , Twickenham or Hansons in Hounslow .
How much do you need ? What sizes ? I have some in the workshop but its probably a bit bent . Ok for small stuff though .

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Try Selco, Martin. They supply Caberwood 'Pro' stuff which is the non-fluffy version of MDF. Not sure about your nearest, but a Google should do. (They also do that yummy flexible stuff...gone are the days of kerfing!)
Of course, this thread is useless without pictures (of what you make! :smile:)

I'm afraid you may have to wait a while for any piccies. I'm notoriously slow. I started gathering bits and bobs for this latest creation back in 2007.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Look for some MR MDF ( moisture resistant ) It machines better than other MDF ( its green ) . Alsfords in Cobham , Twickenham or Hansons in Hounslow .
How much do you need ? What sizes ? I have some in the workshop but its probably a bit bent . Ok for small stuff though .
That's a very kind offer. For the moment, I'll try and get hold of the dense stuff.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
MR MDF is denser than the dense stuff but if its the dense stuff you want then I think its medite you're after rather than caberwood mdf .

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
MR MDF is denser than the dense stuff but if its the dense stuff you want then I think its medite you're after rather than caberwood mdf .
The densest that I can find (on paper) is Caberwood Industrial, 760 kg per cubic metre. Kronospan Deep Router is 700kg, and Medite Industrial is 740kg. They all seem pretty impossible to get hold of but I'm still thrashing about. Medite Plus has been discontinued.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The densest that I can find (on paper) is Caberwood Industrial, 760 kg per cubic metre. Kronospan Deep Router is 700kg, and Medite Industrial is 740kg. They all seem pretty impossible to get hold of but I'm still thrashing about. Medite Plus has been discontinued.
Never heard of caberwood industrial although it has been a few years since I was building fitted wardrobes etc . Still the odd few but they are boring . Any way I always steered clear of caberwood as the edges firred up when cut . Medite was always better and I only used MR MDF for the doors and frontage as it routed up better . The full on green stuff is better than the one with a green core , which is probably the medite one :laugh:
Good stuff mdf though :okay:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37216799@N05/5148550176/in/set-72157624587758358

Last edited:
Top Bottom