Any laminate floor experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, I fitted my floor when we moved in 12 years ago and it's a bit worse for wear now!

The kitchen floor was on 2 levels due to half of it being living room originally so it's done well!.

I intend to leave 1 half of old laminate down to level the floor, rip the laminate up on the high side and lay a new top layer.

I've heard you can buy "commercial grade" liminate but where from, and is it worth the extra?.

Was going to slate tile it but hearing my kids scooters and bikes bounce off it more than once I've decided against that.

I'd like the same style as before if possible, but slightly harder wearing..

20170515_152157.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
Karndean is the only way to go imho.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I spent quite a few years in the flooring industry but that was with carpets and carpet tiles. I do know a fair bit about floors and preping though. I'll help as best I can.
Laminate flooring is just photograph of a finish applied to a synthetic board. Eventually the top finish will wear away showing the board underneath.
I don't think its advisable to lay over an existing laminate as the underneath can break up and move. What is under the existing?
If you fancy slate you can get a good representation in vinyl which is warmer and quiet, you can't tell the difference looking. The very best is Amtico https://www.amtico.com/flooring/. Not cheap though but its the best. You can find other less expensive makes. Karndean is also good as suggested but he sub flood must be absolutely perfect.
Its not really a DIY job, best left for experts. Have you considered the traditional lino? Its now fashionable again and its green. Reasonable price too. http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-uk/products/marmoleum/c0aq3g

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes and no..if your staying then maybe the extra is worth having.
The cheaper will get hammered so you buy new..
If you spend serious money it's a big outlay and your sort of stuck with it ....unless you don't mind paying of course in another few years.
I like tile in the kitchen but wood laminate is trendy.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Cheers all!, we'll be here another 10 years at least so worth redoing it.

The floor has failed where I expected it to, along the ridge.

It's laid on a concrete base floor and the rest is still stable, if I pull it all up I'd have to level the floor with ply or similar or it will do the same again at the ridge.

Never considered vinyl, will have a look into that.

I had some bamboo test samples and it was a lovely floor but looked a pain to clean so discounted that.

Might have a look around at the weekend and see if I can get some samples.

Do they come and fit the Karndean?, I don't mind laying it but doubt they supply only..

screenman

Legendary Member
Cheers all!, we'll be here another 10 years at least so worth redoing it.

The floor has failed where I expected it to, along the ridge.

It's laid on a concrete base floor and the rest is still stable, if I pull it all up I'd have to level the floor with ply or similar or it will do the same again at the ridge.

Never considered vinyl, will have a look into that.

I had some bamboo test samples and it was a lovely floor but looked a pain to clean so discounted that.

Might have a look around at the weekend and see if I can get some samples.

Do they come and fit the Karndean?, I don't mind laying it but doubt they supply only..

Is it not worth levelling the floor with a screed?

alicat

Legendary Member
When I had Karndean put down they put a screed down first and fitted it professionally. 12 years old and it still looks great.

subaqua

What’s the point
Self leveller . Mapei are one of the best Fiberplan is the fits all applications product.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Is it not worth levelling the floor with a screed?

I had a look last time and the floor was a fair bit out if you put the spirit level across it. I'd have to screed the passage and half the floor substantially. Think it was 2 inches out or more at one end.

Just need it level "enough" and it should do another 10 years hopefully.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Will be a concrete job then with a finishing screed I think depending on max thickness allowed for the screed..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Just had a look and the Mapei self mix tile adhesive is rated up to 20mm so I may go for the tile route after all and level as I go.

150 330mm×330mm tiles to lay, feel like I'm setting myself up for another diy joy..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Been off grid for a week or more tiling..

I manned up in the end, hand mixed not far off 200kg of powdered tile adhesive and leveled the floor as I went.

2 weeks after work with 2 weekends and it's done.

Will post more pics of anyones interested but it was a trial (washing machine/ fridge/ cooker/ drier all out).

20170813_132951.jpg
20170824_142338.jpg

Top Bottom