Any Maths Lecturers in the House?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Degree Pure Maths? I'm after knowing which text books my son can start on. He has just 'finished' A Levels and his life lacks focus.

TIA.

si_c

Guru
Engineering Mathematics by Stroud is a good primer - Basic & Advanced.

Edit: he can probably just skip ahead to the Advanced if he's done A-Level maths - also I'm not a maths lecturer, but it's where my degree and postgraduate work have been.

Degree Pure Maths? I'm after knowing which text books my son can start on. He has just 'finished' A Levels and his life lacks focus.

TIA.

Is he off to uni in september? Which one?I
Zeitz Art and Craft of Problem Solving is good and can be downloaded. The pleasures of counting is recommmended. Similarly a basic number theory book would be interesting and different from school maths. A good maths history book can give perspective.

Edit - couple of reading lists attached

Attachments

• ReadingListCambridge.pdf
    426.1 KB · Views: 5
  • ReadingListUCAS.pdf
    155.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Engineering Mathematics by Stroud is a good primer - Basic & Advanced.
There's a blast from the past - it was one of my set books when I went to Lanchester Poly in the 1970s! Stroud was a lecturer there. (It became Coventry University in 1992).

I found it a useful book for engineering purposes, but would it suit a mathematician? I remember it as being 'learn how to do this type of calculation because it is very useful for that type of engineering application' rather than going into the mathematical theory itself.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe he could get NTU to give him advance access to his 'NOW'?

NTU said:
You’ll find the learning resources for your course in NOW (NTU Online Workspace), a virtual learning environment where you’ll find useful information such as timetables and reading lists.

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Thanks everyone. I'm not a maths sort of person. Not deep anyway. I have to take my trousers off if I need to count past 10.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I remember working my way through Stroud. Pity I can't remember any of it, but I remember It was pretty good. I think basically it's A level standard, but good revision.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Am watching this with interest. Despite having 0 aptitude for math, the subject fascinates me.

The ancient Greeks had no symbol for zero (μηδέν), and did not use a digit placeholder for it. They seemed unsure about the status of zero as a number. They asked themselves, "How can nothing be something?", leading to philosophical and, by the medieval period, religious arguments about the nature and existence of zero and the vacuum. The paradoxes of Zeno of Elea depend in large part on the uncertain interpretation of zero. -Wikipedia

How could it not?

Am watching this with interest. Despite having 0 aptitude for math, the subject fascinates me.

The ancient Greeks had no symbol for zero (μηδέν), and did not use a digit placeholder for it. They seemed unsure about the status of zero as a number. They asked themselves, "How can nothing be something?", leading to philosophical and, by the medieval period, religious arguments about the nature and existence of zero and the vacuum. The paradoxes of Zeno of Elea depend in large part on the uncertain interpretation of zero. -Wikipedia

How could it not?

Tbh, our kids were told in year 5 that 0 is not a number because you can't divide by it. Similarly that it wasn't an even number, cause you can't divide it by 2.
If you don't use placeholder notation, there isn't a great (basic) need for it and England/Europe used Roman numerals routinely well into the 14th/15th century.

Last edited:
Top Bottom