Any motorcycle experts around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I hope I'm allowed to ask a motorcycle related question here, as there is already a thread on dog flatulence I guess I may be ok :smile:
My friend (honestly) bought himself a Skyjet 125 around 12 months ago despite me and others telling him in no uncertain terms not to. Anyway he has had various problems with various bits since he bought it but the most recent has him stumped, and I don't know where to start either. Here's the question he posted on a motorcycle forum.
Hi all, Can you help. (no laughing) I have a skyjet 125-26. When i turn the ignition off the engine continues to run, all lights and displays turn off. I then have to use kill switch or stall it to stop the engine.No problem with starting at all. Mean while throughout the day the battery is slowly draining and I occasionlly have to bump start it to go home in the evening. I trickle charge at night for a few hours to help in the mornings. Checked all wiring I can see and looks fine. I have no multi meter or know how in this department any advice would be appreciated before going to an auto electrian.
Any ideas or suggestions? He tried fitting a new ignition switch this morning and it made no difference. Personally I think he should flog the parts and get himself a push bike :bicycle:

green1

Über Member
Check that the earth is good. Always the first thing to check when vehicle electrics start going wonky.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Motorcycle electrics are more exposed than car electics and salty water can cause havoc in winter.

02GF74

Über Member
without knowing the electric circuit for the bike, it isn;t going to be easy to diagnose.

if the bike is running, then there is power going to the coil and associated electrics - could be something as simple as a faulty power switch.

finding what is causing the battery drain needs the use of a mulitmeter - these can be prurchased for about £ 5 - e.g. Maplins or ebay - then connecting it in series and disconnecting the electrical items - again could anyting from a bad power switch, bad earth connection, a fault in the charging in circuit and so on.

Top Bottom