Any other Boris Bike users out there ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I started commuting from St Pancras to the City by bike a few years ago and have found the easiest option is to use a Boris Bike rather than take a bike on the train or leave one at the station.
I was wondering if there are any other fellow Boris Bikers on the forum ?
I know they don't qualify as proper bikes but they are strangely lovable and you don't half notice the distance when you get back on your road bike !

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Not for commuting but I have used them to get around when in London. Very convenient.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I use them when I'm travelling around London and it'd be awkward to keep my folding bike with me. What's improper about them? They're a bit low-geared but riding a three-speed again was one part of motivating me to get a three speed roadster for riding from home! Definitely not road bikes, but then road bikes aren't great for urban roads or hauling luggage.

I just wish you could buy their clever front luggage holder thing separately.

Thursday guy

The only issue I have with them is that you can only park at docking stations, which means having a good mental map of where they are in London. Nonetheless they are a good alternative to tube/bus.

mjr

The only issue I have with them is that you can only park at docking stations, which means having a good mental map of where they are in London.
Docking stations are marked in yellow on OpenCycleMap, or as a bike with a key on OpenStreetMap, or you can install the OpenBikeSharing app on Android to get real-time dock availability plotted on a map.

si_c

Guru
The only issue I have with them is that you can only park at docking stations, which means having a good mental map of where they are in London. Nonetheless they are a good alternative to tube/bus.

The Liverpool scheme has combination locks attached to the bike. You get the PIN when you undock. Do they not have something similar in London?

mjr

The Liverpool scheme has combination locks attached to the bike. You get the PIN when you undock. Do they not have something similar in London?
No. The London scheme aims to keep bikes circulating, with no locks (and I think locking and leaving them may be a breach of the terms of use - EDIT: yes, "You must not; a) lock or secure the Cycle to any object or property during the Period of Use; b) leave a Cycle unattended") and no additional usage charge up to half an hour each checkout.

Top Bottom