Any other writers in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Kindle publishing seems to cost at least 60% of the sale price (Amazons cut and various charges)
Tied to a 60 day exclusivity contract.
You can get a 70% royalty rate if you set your price right.

Delivery charges are very small unless you include lots of images. (10 p/MB?)

VAT is charged on ebooks. I'm not sure if that comes out of the stated price or gets added afterwards. Anyway - I think Amazon charge it at Luxembourg rate which is only a few %?

So you ought to be able to achieve at least a 60% net royalty rate.

You are only limited to the Kindle market if you opt in to the Kindle Select programme.

Lanzecki

Über Member
You can get a 70% royalty rate if you set your price right.

Delivery charges are very small unless you include lots of images. (10 p/MB?)

VAT is charged on ebooks. I'm not sure if that comes out of the stated price or gets added afterwards. Anyway - I think Amazon charge it at Luxembourg rate which is only a few %?

So you ought to be able to achieve at least a 60% net royalty rate.

You are only limited to the Kindle market if you opt in to the Kindle Select programme.

Ahh Select. I forgot that.

Yes, £0.10 per mb.

I only comment on the delivery as the cost to deliver V's the true cost is multiplues of the true cost. Also the author pays the delivery. I assume the buyer pays VAT, but who knows.

All that said, you'll get more per book V's tradational printing with minimal outlay.

i had some short stories published, as well as album and live gig reviews... and a couple of musician interviews...

and some website stuff.

there was a press release for a band too

and some radio scripts

think that's it.

oh... and an info pack for a charity project i was working on.

Candaules

@Candaules

Are you happy with the Amazon KDP? My main question is their %cut and the delivery costs. A friends was telling me that the advertised 30% cut they take is inaccurate once the author pays for delivery to the seller etc.

Any thought/comments from others? Self publish?
Not really happy. I've yet to see any money for Brute Art. That's probably because sales are below a threshold, and because of a muddle by which I was unable to access my account for a while. I need to sort that out. But some authors seem to do really well.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
If it's like Amazon Affiliates, you can set your own payment thresholds - but as UK banks charge a flat fee for incoming dollar payments, it's best to set it reasonably high.

Candaules

I went to a talk on self-publishing by two successful authors, one who walked away from a multi-book deal with Harper Collins to self-publish and a second who is considering doing the same from Orion.

They said the only things a traditional publishing contract do for you these days (assuming you don't get a mega-advance which then prompts them to spend money on marketing) are:
- you get an advance (usually £5-8k for a first-time novel)
- you get the editing paid for (worth about a grand)
- you get the cover design paid for (worth £1-200 these days)
- you may, if you are lucky, get £2k spent on marketing
- you'll get into traditional bookshops
- you'll probably get a review or three

Self-publishing means no advance and you have to lay out the up-front costs yourself, so say £1200-ish (if you skip professional editing and cover design, you pretty much guarantee failure). So all-in, advance plus expenses, you're out £7-8k upfront. Against that, you'll see 30p-ish per paperback via a publisher and £1.50-2 per paperback self-publishing.

Either way, you have to do your own marketing, as a publisher will do very little for a new author.

It's a much closer call these days than it used to be.

You would need to be with a very big (and very optimistic) publisher to get the benefits quoted above. My experience is much smaller (and diminishing) advances, doing my own editing (following the publisher's suggestions), not having much say about cover designs, and little or nothing spent on marketing.
I have been lucky with reviews, and have been translated. But things are getting tougher, and the networking and string-pulling that my publisher specializes in are getting less effective.
I see a gap opening, with big publishers betting heavily on likely best-sellers, with everyone else left to fend for themselves.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Any publisher who asks you to do your own editing is nuts! You'll already have taken it through to the best draft you can do on your own, after that it needs a fresh pair of eyes - and an editor, not an author.

I've had agents tell me to expect anything from £5k to £30k, but that's for commercial fiction. Back in the 80s, I was getting £5k advances for computer books, which is probably about £10k in today's terms. I certainly think you're right about the trend.

hoopdriver

Guru
Any publisher who asks you to do your own editing is nuts! You'll already have taken it through to the best draft you can do on your own, after that it needs a fresh pair of eyes - and an editor, not an author.

I've had agents tell me to expect anything from £5k to £30k, but that's for commercial fiction. Back in the 80s, I was getting £5k advances for computer books, which is probably about £10k in today's terms. I certainly think you're right about the trend.
Totally agree on the editing. Any publisher who wants you to edit your own work clearly doesn't know his business or else doesn't care. You can't edit your own writing. It just doesn't work.

Top Bottom