Any other X Plane fans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Handlebar Moustache

(I’m talking about the flight simulator here). I have a Mac and have played X plane since version 9 (now on v.11). Great selection of freeware planes and airports (San Francisco / Bay Area particularly good). Anyone else indulge in a bit of X Plane?

(I’m talking about the flight simulator here). I have a Mac and have played X plane since version 9 (now on v.11). Great selection of freeware planes and airports (San Francisco / Bay Area particularly good). Anyone else indulge in a bit of X Plane?
Afraid not, my understanding is that to get anything out of simming you need a decent HOTAS setup, which is more expensive than I can justify given that I suspect I like the idea of a flight sim more than the reality.

I've tried to get into Flight Simulator X but it is really janky, whereas the open source sim Flightgear is surprisingly not terrible. With keyboard and mouse controls the landings are still a bit hairy though :whistle:

mustang1

Guru
Not quite a fan. I still like the old Flight Simulator. But, I haven't played properly for many years. I just screw around with that Android one... what's it called... (which is actually not bad at all for something that runs on a tablet).

OP
OP
Handlebar Moustache

Handlebar Moustache

Afraid not, my understanding is that to get anything out of simming you need a decent HOTAS setup, which is more expensive than I can justify given that I suspect I like the idea of a flight sim more than the reality.

I've tried to get into Flight Simulator X but it is really janky, whereas the open source sim Flightgear is surprisingly not terrible. With keyboard and mouse controls the landings are still a bit hairy though :whistle:

You’d be surprised by what’s achievable with a keyboard and mouse - it’s definitely not as good as a hotas set-up esp. if it has force-feedback but it still enables you to sample a huge variety of aircraft including VTOL and tiltrotor. And better, for me, is the real-world map data.

OP
OP
Handlebar Moustache

Handlebar Moustache

Not quite a fan. I still like the old Flight Simulator. But, I haven't played properly for many years. I just screw around with that Android one... what's it called... (which is actually not bad at all for something that runs on a tablet).

The tablet versions are good but in the same way that instant coffee is nice enough but not even in the same ballpark as actual coffee.

Top Bottom