Any people commute on a trek 1.2 or 1.5?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
I'm just about to get my c2w voucher and rejoin the commuting masses after nearly 9 months off. Had a sit down on a trek 1.2 which seemed nice enough. Ideally looking at a triple as plan to do some long rides at the weekend as well as what will be short commute 12 miles a day.

My c2w voucher will last 18 months as they are changing the scheme starting dates next time around so need a workhorse bike plus decent look, pedals, shoes and new helmet before i splash out the next full grand on a higher class road bike.

Any experiences of bikes around the £600 mark would be grateful also? Its a halfords c2w scheme and i've got £800

Downward

Guru
Yes commute on a 1.5 in the dry weather.
Does the job and Compact will be fine.
The 2011 models are due out soon enough but I think they had added another £50 on to the cost.

peteoc

I commute on a 1.2, in the dry and wet and it's fine......obviously steer clear of the painted lines and pretty much anything non-tarmac.

OP
OP
karlos_the_jackal

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
Cheers guys, I'll probably splash out a bit more and get the 1.5 compact then, won't need a triple at all for my commute to be honest.

I'm not sure if i'm too impatient to wait for the 2011 models.

Also have a !.5. Bought it as first road bike, rather than specifically for commuting. Only commute in dry and I'm lucky (or not, depending on perspective) as it's less than 2 miles!
Great bike, good value - only downside is the bloody sora shifters. If you get on the drops during your commute, you may want to re-consider.

martynjc1977

Veteran
I have a 2009 1.5 used in all weather for both commuting and fitness. Sora shifters are pants, but other than that the bike is awesome.

iZaP

Über Member
Downward said:
Yes commute on a 1.5 in the dry weather.
Does the job and Compact will be fine.
The 2011 models are due out soon enough but I think they had added another £50 on to the cost.

You reckon its worth waiting for the 2011 trek series?

I was looking at 2010 and 2011 models, and I could see THAT much of a difference..but maybe it's just my newbie eyes;>

jamesxyz

you could wait for the 2011 models and then get a 2010 as they usually start discounting them to shift the remianing stock but a) may not have your size & :ohmy: not sure if they'd let you use c2w voucher on a 'sale' item.

i have a 2008 1.5 which I now use as a training / commuting bike - I really like it and would recommend it.

Downward

Guru
I'd grab a 2010 model while you can.

Bought mine Aug 2010 towards the end and actually wanted the 1.2 but they were totally out of stock in my size.

Top Bottom