Any point in buying a 'Women's' Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zakalwe

Also, no road bike worth it's salt will have rack or mudguard mounts, you'll need a tourer for that. Using Specialized as an example, in that price range you've got the Allez road bike, no mounts, or the Secteur touring bike, rack mounts etc and a more relaxed and upright geometry. Both have drop bars and a stiff, efficient ride. There'll be female equivalent versions of both as well, with names like Ruby or Sparkles or Muffin or whatever.

There'll be female equivalent versions of both as well, with names like Ruby or Sparkles or Muffin or whatever.

spot on - although I'm not sure about 'muffin'... ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Also, no road bike worth it's salt will have rack or mudguard mounts, you'll need a tourer for that..

Giant Defys 5-2 have bosses for panniers, they're not exactly touring bikes...

It's all very well saying buy a unisex / men's bike and swap stems, saddles and bars, but you are quite easily into spending £100 on new bits there which if you've just spent £800 on a bike, you may not be inclined to do so

Buy the bike that you like and if it fits you all the better...reading the initial post, perhaps itissn't a pure road bike that is required, but soomething with slimmer wheels, dropped bars and STI shifters - a touring bike will have those, as will an 'audax' bike as will a 'sportive' bike...road bike would appear to be used as loosely as hybrid

Zakalwe

Try them both and see what works best for you.

I think you missed this line, because I didn't once advise the op to buy a particular frame, merely that she shouldn't buy only one marketed towards women.

The Defy range are a great call, though I'd personally put it more in the touring bike category, it's a bit more comfort orientated with a tallish head tube those rack mounts. You won't be threatening anyone as you line up at the start of a Cat4 race when you've forgotten to take the pannier rack off in any case, but you probably won't be racing on it.

Anyway, same advice as always - ride as many bikes as possible, consider how you will be riding and what you will need from the bike, ignore any marketing nonsense, and most importantly of all get one in a snazzy colour.

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular
I think you missed this line, because I didn't once advise the op to buy a particular frame, merely that she shouldn't buy only one marketed towards women.

The Defy range are a great call, though I'd personally put it more in the touring bike category, it's a bit more comfort orientated with a tallish head tube those rack mounts. You won't be threatening anyone as you line up at the start of a Cat4 race when you've forgotten to take the pannier rack off in any case, but you probably won't be racing on it.

Anyway, same advice as always - ride as many bikes as possible, consider how you will be riding and what you will need from the bike, ignore any marketing nonsense, and most importantly of all get one in a snazzy colour.

great advice- thank you.
Hadn't even considered that you can't put a rack on most road bikes!! Any alternatives to panniers then?! I'll be packing very lightly but still need a fair amount of things.....hmmmm. Maybe a touring bike is the way forward!

vickster

Legendary Member
The Avail is the female version of the Defy 2 - I'd call it a road bike myself

You can add racks to bike without lugs - attach to the seat post, P-clip to the frame. However, if you are planning on holidaying, maybe a fixed rack might be better, can always take it off when not using.

Ultimately, buy the bike that is in budget, you like most and fits you best (with or wothout changing bits) and figure out how to use it later. I am too much of a planner for that myself :whistle:

Does the Carrera TDF have holes for a rack, so perhaps it's not a road bike then depending on the definition :whistle: It looks like it from the rather small picture of this year's model on the Hellfrauds site

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular
I like the idea of going for the most comfy/in budget then working it out afterwards!!
Thanks for all the advice.

annaspanna

I've just bought a Cube Axial WLS which is a women's bike. Under £1,000, beautiful to ride but not overlay girly which is nice. The geometry is much better designed for us, but depending on your personal measurements you could well suit a mans/unisex bike. Previous comments re the seat are on the money.. Our bums are far too much of a different shape! You need a women's seat for comfort even if you chose a unisex bike. Good luck!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
my brother, who knows a thing or two http://www.tavistockcycles.co.uk/ reckons there is no difference, but Susie's experience on the Ruby Pro makes me think that Spesh are on to something. (Their tyres are suss, though)

Flyingfox

I'm 5'9" and have always ridden what are perceived to be 'men's' bikes - there's far more choice. I did change the saddle on my current road bike to a women's specific road saddle which is far more comfy than the one that came with it!

carolonabike

I have a Trek Lexa SLX which is a great bike and has lugs for mudguards or a rack. I did the Coast to Coast on it last year but now I use it as my commuter so I've fitted mudguards. I also have a Cube GTC WLS which is a triple but it's carbon fibre and has no lugs at all. I love them both but I love my Cube more :smile:
The Cube's tend to have less girly paint jobs, no pink paint or flowers.
I would echo what others have said, if you're taller it's not such an issue but I've found at 5'3 the women's frames suit me much better.
Definitely a women's specific saddle.

Top Bottom