Any Reason not to Build up a Canyon Ultimate cf sl frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

I'm looking for my first carbon roadbike for summer use: fast club rides, a few TTs and possibly some dabbling in cat4s. Initially I was looking into buying a discounted 2014 model, but the only bike which really took my interest was the Cannondale SuperSix Evo 6 105 but I resent paying for a mix and match groupset and finishing kit which I don't really want. I then saw the Canyon Ultimate CF SL frame which can be bought for a reasonable £800 using Canyon's Sponsorship Scheme and on the face of it building one up seems like a good option.

My budget is about 2k, I reccon the Canyon build would come in somewhere around 1,900 - £800 frame, £475 ultegra groupset, £300 wheelset, leaves ~£300 for bars, bartape, tyres and saddle.
I'm aware the 9.0 model is well specced but if I can build essentially the same bike with a slightly more replaceable wheelset for £100 less and have the experience of building up a frame then that seems nice.

So is there anything I'm overlooking? Pressfit BBs are hard to avoid unless you build go for one of the higher end Italian brands and the Canyon headset system seems quite clever.
I'd like a colourful frame but I ride with three different groups with three different colour schemes so I'm just going with the neutral black/grey/white colours (Yes, I know).

Anyway, just looking for opinions RE Canyon or any alternatives people think would be better, I've done some research but I can't have seen everything.

Cheers.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I've heard they go all squidgy when they're left out in the sun.

Chris432626

I've just bought one with a vcls2 seat post.
So comfy yet fast after years on an Alu bike, I actually bought a complete bike and sold off the components. Frame only in my size wouldn't have been ready until May.

I cannot review against other carbon bikes, but I'm very impressed.

Leodis

Veteran
Carbon does melt in contact with water, FACT. :okay:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Can't see anything wrong in your plan at all..... except....

maybe a small ammendment in budget for the wheel set.

A little judicious googling & sale shopping should get your group set & finishing kit in below budget, but up the wheel set budget to around £500 & you're ready to race, (not that I do).

A set of full carbon 50mm rims can be had from www.buyabike.co.uk for £500 or Campagnolo semi aero Scirocco's from Wiggle amongst others could be had for around £400...

Sigma Sport have a great sale on 3T parts, bars, stems & seat posts & they are lightweight & quality.

www.merlincycles.co.uk have Schwalbe Ultremo ZX on sale at £19.95 for black 23mm up to just under £22 for colours & 25mm, great fast & light tyres.

I reckon you could get that Canyon to come in below 7kg easily.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

Can't see anything wrong in your plan at all..... except....

maybe a small ammendment in budget for the wheel set.

A little judicious googling & sale shopping should get your group set & finishing kit in below budget, but up the wheel set budget to around £500 & you're ready to race, (not that I do).

A set of full carbon 50mm rims can be had from www.buyabike.co.uk for £500 or Campagnolo semi aero Scirocco's from Wiggle amongst others could be had for around £400...

Sigma Sport have a great sale on 3T parts, bars, stems & seat posts & they are lightweight & quality.

www.merlincycles.co.uk have Schwalbe Ultremo ZX on sale at £19.95 for black 23mm up to just under £22 for colours & 25mm, great fast & light tyres.

I reckon you could get that Canyon to come in below 7kg easily.

Thanks for the input Ste. I don't think I want deep section wheels as the only time they're likely to benefit me is during TTs, and even then the difference is a few seconds, I don't think that justifies the cost and crosswinds. They'd just be expensive bling. I was looking at something like Fulcrum Racing 3s but even they have a 30mm rear rim, although their claimed weight is just 1555g, probably without skewers etc though.
As far as finishing kit goes, the frameset comes with a seatpost and stem already; it's nearly a full bike...
That said, if there's a long wait to order a frameset by the time I have my funds, I'll consider ordering the prebuilt 'aero' version and selling the wheelset as I can get that version slightly discounted as well.

huwsparky

Über Member
So, let me get this right. You get a £21 bronze licence and you save almost £200 on the price of the bike?

I'd be interested how you get on with this as I was possibly considering doing a self build Canyon. Either way for next summer I'd like to add a Canyon to keep my Giant company!

jack smith

Veteran
Still worth the save i wish i knew that when i was looking a few weeks ago cause o was looking at canyons and needed a race licence!

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
The Evo is a terrific frame, but so is the CF SL. The Canyon has a stiffer ride than the Evo, but there isn't a huge amount in it.

The CF SL 7.0 at £1400 (comes with 11 speed 105 and Aksiums) sounds like the best deal to me. Then you have £400 for wheels, carbon bars, speedplays, superlight shoes or whatever in your £1900 budget.

I was in a similar-ish position to you, and I bought the Evo, stripped it (and put that gear on another frame to sell as a complete bike) and rebuilt it with SRAM Red and H Plus Son Archetypes. The bike is fantastic.

Top Bottom