any reason not to get a Giant Defy 2?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crumpetman

Still looking for my first proper road bike on cyclescheme and have tested a Giant Defy 2 and a Specialized Allez Sport. Both were really nice but I found the Giant more comfortable and easier to brake on the hoods and the gear shifters are nicer. But, as a newbie I think I could get on any bike from £500 up and think it is great and not be able to tell much difference!

The LBS closest to my office sell Giant and the staff in there are nice and helpful and have fixed a couple of things on my current bike so that is my main reason for wanting to use them. The next LBS is about 2 miles down the road and they sell Specialized.

So, any reason not to get a Defy 2? It takes a rack and takes mudguards, the LBS has some Giant branded ones that are supposed to fit the Defy. With those and some lights or locks that is probably the whole £1k voucher used up.

If you want to shop around there are other options but if you like the feel of the Defy go for it and enjoy; by the time you have shopped around you could have done a few hundred miles on the defy :-)

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

As a newbie with zero mechanical ability (or interest) I figure that the choice of LBS is as important (or more important?) that the bike itself given that I can't tell much difference between bikes yet.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Both are nice bikes so if you like it then go for it
biggrin.gif

CRC

I bought a Giant Defy 2 back in February under the CycleScheme. It is my first road bike and I'd definitely recommend it. Have covered getting on for 2000 miles and the first problem I've had was a broken spoke yesterday.

The stock saddle isn't very comfortable though, so you might want to budget for a replacement.

Have done a sportive and will be completing LEJOG on it in the next couple of weeks, I say go for the Giant.

I currently have one on order
biggrin.gif

I tried a few makes\models but when I sat on the Defy, it just seemed to fit. My last bike was a Giant, so maybe I have a Giant shaped body.
( but in miniature as I am only 5'8" )
blush.gif

surfdude

Veteran
iam looking at the giant defy 1 and am also 5ft 8 what size frame is yours.i think the one in the shop is 54cm its the last 2009 one so i hoping they are not selling it to me to make way for newer bikes.

Frame size I ordered is an 'M' but don't take my word for it, go and have a ride as my proportions may not be the same as yours.
I am guessing that the sizing method changed since 2009...

koro

I bought a Giant Defy 2 back in February under the CycleScheme. It is my first road bike and I'd definitely recommend it. Have covered getting on for 2000 miles and the first problem I've had was a broken spoke yesterday.

The stock saddle isn't very comfortable though, so you might want to budget for a replacement.

Have done a sportive and will be completing LEJOG on it in the next couple of weeks, I say go for the Giant.

I have a Defy 2 (:rolleyes: ).....

I love the bike, but like the above post, the saddle isn`t very comfortable...( numbnuts, in particular)

Sizing wise it`s best just to get on one for a test ride, and go with what feels comfortable..

Top Bottom