Any recumbent riders in the Teesside area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k4wils

My wife is recovering from triple heart bypass surgery so I have lost my riding partner.
Anty recumbent riders in the Teesside area who might like to meet up for a ride?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Not in Teesside but I hope your wife makes a great recovery and is soon riding
radler.gif
with you again. :smile:

OP
OP
K

k4wils

Thanks for that Scoosh, I am sure she will but it will be a long road to full recovery.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
When my Mother had heart surgery many moons ago, a large part of the recuperation was cycling - though on a static bike :sad:, so Mrs k4wils should retain her pedalling legs ! ^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

k4wils

I have been sketching and thinking of a home build for quite a while. Maybe I will get round to it one day! I work on N + 1 as the ideal number of bikes/trikes but don't have the budget to feed my desire.
I have started riding Audax on the trike, very comfy but slow and solitary whilst riding. I fancy something suspened with two wheels rather than three. I know Audax isn't a race but I can't help wanting to be quicker.
Let me know if you start your build Paul, would be interested in bouncing ideas around.
Keith

paul fellows

Audax ?
money :cry::cry::cry:
at the moment i am thinking getting a broken DF for the mechanicals and building a high light recumebent frame to hold them, based on the sculptures of K Snelson :blush::reading::wacko::reading::okay:
im thinking of using garden center bamboo for the compression members and 60 lbs fishing line from boys for the tensile members

OP
OP
K

k4wils

Had to Google Snelton - I think I can envisage what you mean. perhaps like a Moulton bike but not just struts but with members in tension as well.
Audax - is a cycling sport in which participants attempt to cycle long distances within a pre-defined time limit.
I am contemplating something from carbon fibre.

OP
OP
K

k4wils

I haven't bought it locally, just online.
East Coast Fibreglass suppplies for resin.
Easy Composites for cloth.
Have yet to really get to grips with it. I suspect that the only thing is learn by doing.

paul fellows

I believe it is like plywood, you lay it out so that the long fibres run one way on the first layer and at a right angle on the next, to build up strength in all directions.

How are you thinking of working it.

Making it as separate components, that might be reusable.

Or as one lump.

In a proper mould like fibre glass.

or making a light mock-up of the frame and in-casing that inside a strong shell.

Am dreaming about building my own, but that all it is for now a fantasy.

OP
OP
K

k4wils

Sorry for the delay, been rather busy.
Two possible alternatives - 1) polyurethane foam core then vacuum bagged CF over that. Downside would be additional weight of foam, I have yet to work out what that will be. Also might be difficult to get a good finish without a lot of sanding and filling.
2) Shape a plug from mdf (I am a woodworker so have the gear for that) and take a mould from that. Lay up the frame in two halves and then join. A lot more work but probably a more professional finish.
Still some thinking and designing to be done.

paul fellows

if wood is your thing then that would probably be the way to go :okay:^_^

if you start this as a new thread, you might get more advice from people who actualy know

Last edited:

paul fellows

I have gotten my mechanicals; three wheels, brakes, gears, a long chain, pedals, bottom bracket, etc., from the HUB in Stockton.

Have you ever popped in there, they organize cycling event for all abilities. And they are very serious about encouraging cycling.

Top Bottom