Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm in http://www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk/
I do run on the road, but mainly to work & back, or with the Club on training nights/club-runs.

I've done a few10ks over the past few years (only started running at end of 2008), with 'best time' of 42:38 at the 'Askern 10K' (last year)

My most interesting 'half' was the http://www.crossbay.org.uk/ which goes over the sands of Morecambe Bay, from Flookburgh (Cumbria) to Hest Bank (between Morecambe & Carnforth)
I did that in 2009, & got 52nd/239 @ 1.42:52, which I was very happy with given the nature of the Bay (ie; rivers enter the bay whether the tide's in or out!)

interestingly, if I could have equalled that time this year, I'd have been placed 11th/563 !!!!!!!!!! (not that I would, as it was a horeendously windy day, by all accounts)

Sadly though, I fell hard during a cross-country in January & bashed my left knee.
I completed the race (& the 'Stanbury Splash' the week after)
Then went to Florida for a fortnight - with visions of running in the Sun
After the flight, I couldn't walk properly & hobbled around for the fortnight

On returning to the UK, I had a MRI scan & found out that I had 'micro-fractures in the femur' ...Bugger!!!:cursing:
I ended up with over 4 months of not running (could still ride bike - thankfully!!), & went from averaging 170 miles per months to less than 5 (had to keep trying!!)

I'm stil suffering a bit on early morning runs, when it's stiff & trying to regain some speed (August was my highest mileage since January @ 128 miles)

On a more positive note, I much prefer Fell-Races though,as you've got to think about every step, & what not to land on/in

Races like the events organised by Eileen & Dave Woodhead, in fact I'll be running one of their events on my birthday (have to take proof & ask for free-entry & head-start!!!)
http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=withins&subtopic=home (note who is the mens record holder!)

This is a good one too!
http://www.ilkleyharriers.org.uk/index.php?page=imr
Ran it in 5" of snow in 2010, when they were goign to cancel, thinking people wouldn't be able to get there!!
Ran it again in 2011, in the dry, hence a bit faster
DNS'd this year, due to a knee injury

This is a corking race too
http://www.bingleyharriers.co.uk/html/h_v_cyclists/hvc.htm
Rode this in 2007/2008, with times in the 54 minute region (MTBS are too heavy & awkward to carry)
Ran in 2009/2010, with times in the 47-48 minute mark
DNF'd in 2011, due to getting a branch in the eye & scracthing a cornea badly

Plus...... I'll be running the last round of this series tomorrow evening (only short, but tough)
http://www.undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/2012/03/the-trunce-route/
2011 PB of 31:03

Get thee over to www.sportsshoes.com in Bradford.
It was a brilliant shop, BUT, it's closed down now (as the buildng owners - NCP - didn't renew the lease)
However, they've reopened in Shipley, but as mail-order only!!
Don't hold me to that, I've just been told there's no shop, & there's no mention of one on the website

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
London Marathon x 3 over 15 years ago and now 7 K twice a week.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I used to average about 30 miles per week, trail running , south downs way. Now jog the odd three miler as I like to cycle plus union commitments, nicks most of my spare time.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm a late convert to competitive running (I was 40 this year), but currently out injured probably for some time. Best times this year: 19 minutes for the 5k, 39 minutes for the 10k and 1.32 for the half.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I detest running, never good at it as a kid, nor did I enjoy it either. I had to do treadmill work as part of my cardio-rehab 7 years ago and whilst my daughter was at the Running club (she was a talented sprinter) I also plodded around the track and eventually built up to about a max of 10k at a slow rate. When my daughter quit, I returned to cycling instead.
But cycling's not enough, it's difficult for me to get out regularly because I travel a lot, I can't get my weight down, my heart condition means I need good cardio exercise and I miss the endorphin hit and mental health that hard physical work-out provides. So I keep looking at my running shoes and wondering if they're the answer. I'll let you know ... this morning I actually put them on, grabbed the dog and jogged a couple laps of Morden Hall park. It was OK, in fact I went better than I had expected and felt mildly good afterwards. I'm registering for 5k Parkrun and aiming to make my jogging shoes my regular travel companions. I need to make this work. I need to become a runner ....

The Jogger

Legendary Member

ASC1951

Guru
The writer - an Occupy supporter, I see - may be right about the closure but he is wrong about the reasons. A business tenant has an automatic right to a new lease on the same terms, so SportsShoes cannot have closed "because NCP wouldn't renew the lease". Nor can it be just that "NCP put up the rent", because the rent has to be the market rent and if the landlord's proposal is too high or the tenant's is too low the new rent will be set by the court.

Given that they have gone mail order only, the closure must be because their business model won't sustain any retail premises. They will lose some customers (many of us will only buy stuff to wear if we can try it on) but must have calculated that they will make up for it in reduced overheads. I hope they are right, because I've been going to their shop for a decade.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Running is first and foremost my sport and I love it. I'm a member of Clayton-le-Moors Harriers but where I'd aim to do 50 races a year in my prime, you could count the number of races I've done this year on a Saudi Arabian thief's hands.

Once the decline produced a diminishing return, I took up climbing and cycling and have found this to be common of a lot of my club mates.

Running has some significant advantages over cycling, the main ones being time requirements and cost but of course, cycling has its advantages over running so the very best thing is to do both.

PaulB

Legendary Member
This is a blow to me. I can get to this shop in about 40 mins so go there to buy all my running shoes as they always have some bargains in there. My most memorable day occurred when I saw a Jaguar (the car, not the cat - I'm not from Essex) in the adjacent multi-storey that had been vandalised by blue paint proclaiming AVFC on its bonnet and I pointed this out to the booth-dweller when I exited. It wasn't vandalism though, the owner of the car had done it himself! He was quite a well-known man who was appearing in the town that night fiddling away on his violin. You probably know who I mean!

PaulB

Legendary Member
Dave and Eileen Woodhead (the woodentops) are really great people. the costs of racing nowadays is ridiculous but Dave always keeps the entry fee low and the prize list high. If you want to start New Years Eve on a high, do his Auld Lang Syne; it's as tough as anything you'll do (it won't be today but in December, it will be either a deep boggy morass all the way or rock-solid moors and bitingly cold.

Top Bottom