Any Science Boffins out there ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Squire
Hi All,

My 8 years old son would like to take part in his school's annual science week; he would like to present a brief experiment, which is eye-catching, interesting, not too complicated and hopefully, entertaining.

The experiment must not be too slow to set up, since he will have to repeat it a few times; it also needs to be something that may be demonstrated in no more than 4 or 5 minutes.

Last year, we did the old pub trick, of lifting up a small table with a glass; the year before that, we made a baking soda and vinegar volcano. Before that, we made a home-made rocket launch, with some more baking soda.

Thing is, not being much of a scientist anyway (apart from making the odd cocktail :whistle: ), I'm running low on ideas.

Can anyone suggest something which might be suitable ? (I draw a line at extreme suggestions, such as blowing-up the school). ^_^

Ta v. much.
 
U

User169

Guest
Here you go Pubbers - DNA extraction from strawbs...


View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOpu4iN5Bh4
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
A much-appreciated suggestion, probably a little too hard for kids of 8 to follow.

They make a bit of a meal of it, to be honest, although entertainingly. I've seen it done in a couple of minutes on TV with human spit. The basic stages are:

Provide some mushy stuff with DNA in (mashed up strawberry, or spit)
Add something to break the cell walls (the detergent solution - washing up liquid and salt and water)
If using fruit mush, strain it through a filter to get liquid out.
Add alcohol (on telly, I've seen it done with vodka, I guess in a school science situation, ethanol or whatever is available.)
Watch DNA form gloopy mass as it precipitates.
 

byegad

Squire
Location
NE England
How about my favourite 'experiment' For about ten years I wanted to wire my little sister to the mains to see what happened. Sadly every year the teacher told me I couldn't do it. Sumfing to do with Elf and Safety. :cry:

I like her now!
 

Globalti

Squire
Rinse out a milk bottle with boiling water, pop a boiled egg on top then watch it get sucked in through the neck as the vapour inside the bottle condenses?

(Used to work with old-style milk bottles, not sure about the modern squat bottles with the smaller neck.)
 

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Location
Meanwood, Leeds
Rinse out a milk bottle with boiling water, pop a boiled egg on top then watch it get sucked in through the neck as the vapour inside the bottle condenses?

(Used to work with old-style milk bottles, not sure about the modern squat bottles with the smaller neck.)

Sadly it will be outlawed - the child is at primary school and would not be allowed to use boiling water.
 
Top Bottom